Can you add zoning data to parcels?

07-30-2018 10:41 AM
NathanielFemiano1
New Contributor

OK so i have been banging my head against my desk for 2 weeks now with this project.  I have 2 layers 1 is a zoning layer for the city and the other is the parcels.  I need to get the zoning information into each specific parcel.  This is easy up to the point where i have a parcel that is duel zoned or multi zoned.  This is where im getting stuck.  I HAVE to be able to keep the parcels whole but i also need to be able to see that it is duel zoned and where the zoning splits.  I cannot create a new parcel to show the secondary zoning. anyone have any suggestions?   I am also going to be color coding based on zone so if there is a way to do that without actually splitting the parcel up i can go that route too. 

2 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Is this a process that you would need to perform on a regular basis (e.g. weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually)?  If so, you might want to think about creating a model and then exporting it to python to make additional modifications.

Do you need to account for every permutation of multi-zoned parcels (e.g. Residential/Commercial, Residential/Industrial, Residential/Open Space, Residential/Commercial/Industrial, etc.)?  Or do you just need to break out the single zoned parcels and then place all the multi-zoned parcels into 1 category?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Try: 

Add a field to your parcels that is set up the same as the name or zone type of your zones polygons.

Select a particular zone poly

Make a spatial selection of your parcels where the center is within the selected zone plygon

Calculate the parcel zone field = zone polygon name field

I've done this sort of thing in python that makes quick work of it if it's something you do over and over.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos