syncing dynamic data stored locally with arcgis online

07-29-2018 02:44 AM
AmirHarel
New Contributor

I'm using ArcGIS online to show the GIS data to my client on the web. I have a level 2 (editor) user and my client a level 1 viewer user. I'm trying to find a way to keep AGOL synced with my local DB (based on File Geodata base and SDE) but found only overwriting the service (with the updated data) to work. This is a real problem, because some of the settings in AGOL needs to be redefined each time and it takes a lot of credits to upload all the data a new every time there's even the smallest of updates.

I'm not editing my data straight on the AGOL webservice, because the data presented to the client and uploaded to AGOL is made out of several source layers and a few geo-processes that needs to run offline using local resources.

Ideally, I could keep a local SDE (or GDB) up-to-date with my data, and the data will automatically be updated in the AGOL service (like ArcGIS enterprise works).

The option to "enable Sync" in the AGOL feature layer settings page doesn't seem to address this.

The only lead I found for a solution was to turn all my data to geoJason and to use AGOL's API to insert\update\delete features - but that will force me to develop a comparison between my new calculated data and the data that was last publish to AGOL.

Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
KimPeter
Esri Contributor

Hi Amir,

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding your workflow...but couldn't you publish an ArcGIS Server map service that references your source data, and add that service to ArcGIS Online as an item that you share with a group to which the level 1 user belongs?   

the data presented to the client and uploaded to AGOL is made out of several source layers and a few geo-processes that needs to run offline using local resources.

As long as the processes you mentioned update the data in the underlying tables (rather than dropping and re-creating the tables), the data changes should appear in the map service/map image layer item.

0 Kudos