ArcMap 10.6 running slow while editing in a file geodatabase

07-27-2018 07:39 AM
PennySawyer2
New Contributor

I have three layers that i exported from our sde database; I am editing in a file geodatabase.  I have a streets layer that is large file, a neighborhood polygon medium size file and a stream layer small file size.  The computer is a laptop, I use running on windows 10  64 bit . with an Intel processor 3.10ghz and with 16gb ram. My computer runs slow when I edit in ArcMap and even when i try to pan , zoom  in or out in a  mxd document.  Does this have anything to do with having only 16gb of ram. The data i am trying to edit is annotation in the file geodatabase.  I have created new mxd documents and the same thing occurs ; ArcMap runs slow and stops responding. Even simple field calculations ArcMap runs very slow and sometimes does not complete the task when I try to do a field calculation. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Have you looked at this thread, although I am not sure it applies to a slow file gdb:

https://community.esri.com/message/748294-slow-editing-in-arcmap-106 

Are you at 10.6 or 10.6.1?

0 Kudos
NinaRihn
Occasional Contributor III

The most common scenario I see with slow performance is that the feature classes need their spatial indexes rebuilt..    especially very big feature classes, and especially ones containing data that are changed regularly...

that is a simple first thing I would try.

0 Kudos