Interaction Issues Embedding Tabbed Map Series In a Cascade Story Map

Jump to solution
07-20-2018 01:41 PM
deleted-user-Nnm4j9nzfwuU
New Contributor

As the title suggests, I'm attempting to embed a map series within a cascade story map. Simply put, my story map consists of an introduction (Cascade Portion) and ends in the Map Series section.

e.g. The cascade portion of the map is an introduction / description of the organization and the map series at the end shows the X regions in which the organizations operates (each area is in essence a parallel story).

However, I'm seemingly having interaction issues when I go to view the Cascade to Map Series transition. It's fairly minor, the simple issue is that once a user reaches the Map Series the must click on it once in order to start interacting (interactions are enable). What's most infuriating is that this isn't an issue in the builder view, only when viewing the final story map.

Does anyone have experience with embedded dynamic content in cascade story maps? Did you have similar issues making the embedded content the focus? Is this something I will have to resolve through modifying the code base?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bradley -- Sorry you have been frustrated by the interaction settings for your embedded Story Map Series. Since Cascade is a scrolling web page we've been a bit conservative with how the mouse interaction works on embedded web pages (like a story map). Since the scroll might unexpectedly catch on a map or other scrolling area for readers, a click is required to initiate the interaction with embedded web content when viewing a story.

However, in the most recent update to Cascade, we added an option you can use to adjust the interaction so that it behaves how you would like. This option is not available in builder at this time, but here's an article that shows you how to enable it. Let me know if this works for you.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Bradley -- Sorry you have been frustrated by the interaction settings for your embedded Story Map Series. Since Cascade is a scrolling web page we've been a bit conservative with how the mouse interaction works on embedded web pages (like a story map). Since the scroll might unexpectedly catch on a map or other scrolling area for readers, a click is required to initiate the interaction with embedded web content when viewing a story.

However, in the most recent update to Cascade, we added an option you can use to adjust the interaction so that it behaves how you would like. This option is not available in builder at this time, but here's an article that shows you how to enable it. Let me know if this works for you.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
deleted-user-Nnm4j9nzfwuU
New Contributor

Thank you, the hidden mouseover flag was exactly what I needed. Much appreciated!

0 Kudos