ArcGIS Pro 2.1 | How to drag a polygon with Explore tool?

Jump to solution
05-24-2018 02:11 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am getting frustrated with the new Explore tool (Map tab) in ArcGIS Pro as I cannot click & drag a polygon to explore (formely identify in ArcMap) multiple features. Is there any workaround?

If there is no solution, please ESRI add this functionality to the next release.

There is always the option to click & drag with the Select tool but I have to open attribute tables in order to explore my features. It is rather cumbersome, in addition to ArgGIS Pro being slow.

Thanks

Tags (3)
27 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

The hover tips used be a wait of 900 milliseconds, and we did find that it was too long for most people to hover to get information about a tool.  So we tightened that up to 500 milliseconds which I believe is a standard used by Microsoft, hoping that that would be a long enough wait time to not annoy people by having this stuff pop-up in your face all the time as soon as your pointer touched something. 

For feedback on Identify functionality, we've shared some extensive consideration on that topic in Add a Real Identify tool to the ArcGIS Pro's Inquiry Ribbon Area‌.  So that you don't have to search the thread, here is the content of the post:

This is being marked as Implemented in ArcGIS Pro 2.2.  

Thanks for all the input – we took as much feedback on board as possible, and the results are below.

LIST OF POP-UP ENHANCEMENTS IN PRO 2.2

Identify multiple features using drag-box

Use the ‘Ctrl’ hot-key with the Explore tool

Configure which layers participate via the drop-down list control for the Explore Tool

Provide a list-view for the identified features

Shown in a collapsible section in the top of the Popup pane

List-view has the following capabilities…

Provides access to related rows, per relationship classes (note: the related content must be in the map)

Shows attributes (and multiple rows) for joined tables, including 1:1 and 1:m

Sortable order (per layer): via r.click context menu for each layer name in the list view

Ability to remove an identified feature from the list-view (via node context menu)

Ability to select/unselect the feature associated with the node in the list-view (via node context menu)

Control over the node names, including expressions (and expressions that work with joins)

Tip: the popup node name is initially defined using the layer’s Display Expression

Can be updated (via r.click layer in TOC > Configure Popups) any time thereafter

Popup pane to be dockable

The pane can be docked, just like other panes (eg: TOC, Catalog, Symbology, etc)

If you have multiple maps/scenes open, the contents will reflect the identify results for the active view

Can be shown side-by-side with the Attributes pane (whose content is based on selection)

Feature coordinates

Shown at the base of the Popup pane for the selected-node in the list-view

Coordinates are shown in the Map’s coordinate-display units

You can change this setting (eg: to UTM / MGRS / DDM) in the Map Properties > General tab

Coordinate values can be copied by drag-selecting over the label and pressing Ctrl-C (or r.click > Copy)

Pull out individual features to their own popup pane, for simultaneous viewing / comparison

Right-click a feature node in the list-view and click ‘Move to pinned pop-up’

Multiple pinned popups can be shown at once (eg: side by side) for direct comparison

Pinned popups are displayed only when the map they are associated to is active

10.x CAPABILITIES NOT INCLUDED IN PRO 2.2 (to be considered in a future release)

Some additional items are planned for a specific future release, and some require more investigation. If you’re able to provide feedback and clear use-cases for any, please let us know.

Ability to quickly switch the map’s coordinate display

Planned for Pro 2.3, via a quick-pick list in the status-bar area of the map view (next to the coordinate display)

In 2.2: change the property on the Map Properties > Display tab

Persistence of the user-defined “identifiable layers” setting for Pro

Planned for Pro 2.3

Ability to create a bookmark for the feature’s location

No release specified

In 2.2: r.click a node, zoom to it, then use the Map > Bookmarks > Create Bookmark command

Ability to create a graphic / call-out / feature at the feature’s location

No release specified

In 2.2: create an empty / pre-symbolized feature class using Insert > Map Notes, manually place a feature (using snapping or exact coordinates, as required)

A dedicated / separate tool that does nothing but identify/popup

No release specified, and unlikely unless heavily requested. Maintaining a smaller number of tools is a design method we’re trying to adhere to. We had many complaints about the size and scope of the ArcMap UI.

In 2.2: use the Ctrl hot-key

Tip: hover your mouse over the Explore tool to see the most common hot-keys (inc. Ctrl)

CAPABILITIES NOT PLANNED FOR PRO

These are requested popup options that are not planned for Pro. Please send your use-cases and requirements if you believe any are needed for a critical workflow.

Use the Identify/Popup pane without activating the map in a Layout view

The map frame is an object with properties and settings that users need access to

With an un-activated map, we cannot know from a single click if the user wants to: (a) select and (edit / delete / move) the map frame object, or (b) interact with the map’s contents

The (right-click-map > Activate) step tells us the user wants the latter

Have the Popup pane return results for features that are not being rendered

Users can exclude features from the map display using a variety of methods - such as a Definition Query, or not symbolizing a particular class

Pro uses a WYSIWYG method for selection and for popups, so non-visible features will not be included in either the select-rectangle-result list of the drag-box-popup list

The Select By Location tool is recommended for locating all GDB features within an extent

Tip: open the tool directly from the Map ribbon

Tip: Select by Location GP tool lets you interactively digitize in a selection-area polygon

Open the popup pane so it is focused-on (or scrolled-down-to) a specific feature attribute

The popup can be highly formatted (eg: with images, etc), and each popup is different per layer, so it would be extremely difficult to operate the auto-scrolling in a logical manner, especially when identifying features across multiple layers or multiple maps

The Attributes pane (which works on a selection set) operates as described – the displayed position down the list of attributes remains unchanged when moving between features within the same layer         

Thanks for all the input on this issue. While some pieces may not exactly match ArcMap, we hope it allows you to complete your workflows using Pro.

Learn more at What's new in ArcGIS Pro 2.2

After reading that and working with the tool in 2.2, if you have constructive feedback to share with the development team that works on that tool, please comment on that thread.

Thanks!

AaronCraig2
Occasional Contributor

Yes there is a careful balance for speed vs annoyance. I am very glad you pointed out the tool tips. There is quite a bit of information packed in there. I am used to dismissing these things as full names.

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Hi Kory,

I was looking for this new functionality but in ArcGIS Pro 2.2, I cannot get this tool work properly!

Holding C + click open the Pop-up window fine. But clicking the Explore tool, then holding Ctrl to drag a rectangle does nothing with me! No Pop-Up. Weird? 

Is there anything wrong I am doing?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

1. You shouldn't have to hold C and click to open a pop-up.  Just click.

2. With the Explore tool active, you will need to hold Ctrl down, then left-click and hold the mouse button down at the same while dragging a rectangle.  

Does that work?

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Ok. I tried it again and it does not work. However, I just opened another project and it works fine ctrl + clicl hold drag rectangle.

This means something does not work in this particular project. But I have not idea on what prevent the tool to work.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you still using Pro 2.1 for these projects?  If not, were the 2 projects you are testing created in different versions of Pro as ESRI has put out patches for 2.1 and released 2.2 with it's own set of patches which might impact how the tool works?

0 Kudos
britthartery
New Contributor

Is there a way to do this but select by drawing a polygon or lasso instead of a box, like in the select tool?

0 Kudos