ArcGIS PRO Keyboard Shortcuts

07-19-2018 12:34 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Keyboard shortcuts for editing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop  provides a list of editing methods short cuts.  Are there keyboard shortcuts (or a way to create my own) that activate various editing tools?  Instead of clicking on the ribbon to select a tool, I'd like to just hit f6 for vertices, or f7 for reshape etc, etc.....

eta: just found this link:  ArcGIS Pro - Create Custom Toolbars and Hotkeys  but I don't see what I'm looking for....

That should just about do it....
6 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

See Kory Kramer‌ reply in https://community.esri.com/ideas/14963 at the bottom.....very helpful list of all the shortcuts, which there’s are many. 

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Here are a couple of things you can try and decide which works best for you.

1. Probably the best in terms of having a shortcut would be to just set up custom accelerators for your editing commands.  Customize the ribbon options—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop That will be like creating your own shortcuts for the tools you use most.

In the gif below I've set Alt+V to activate the Vertices tool.  BUT, before I do that, I wanted to show that there is some really good functionality built into the right-click menu in your map view.  For example, I can easily switch between the Explore tool to the Select tool without moving back up to the ribbon or Quick Access Toolbar just by right clicking.  Once I've selected a feature/features, if I right click again, the context is different because we know we have a selection to work with, so now I get most commonly used editing tools.  So though not a shortcut "key" I think this is a handy thing to know.  And at the end, you can't see the keystrokes but I use Alt+V to activate Vertices.

2. You can add editing tools to your Quick Access Toolbar and then use built-in Accessibility to get to access keys using Alt: Use ArcGIS Pro with a keyboard—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

So above I could use Alt+7 to activate Vertices, Alt+8 to Split and Alt+9 to Merge.

3. Again with accessibility (but not shortcuts) use Alt+E to open the Edit tab, then TG to open the Tool Gallery and then the arrow keys to select the tool you want and Enter to activate.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You must get up a little earlier than me!  Started with the Alt E approach from the post linked by Thomas Colson‌ and reviewed what Dan Patterson provided, then noticed your reply.  As you imply in # 3 that's more of a long cut than a short cut.  I'm going to follow your instructions and see how it goes.

Thanks!

Kory Kramer

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Yes, I hope that was clear for my #3 above.  That is about the ability to access commands by using the keyboard only.  Not a shortcut

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

One final question: short cuts are project specific, correct?  That is if I set Alt-R for reshape or Alt-V for vertices, are they available when I spark up a new project or would I need to re-set them?

0 Kudos