Dialog box size for custom tools user input

07-13-2018 08:36 PM
MarkFawkes
Occasional Contributor

Trying to set up some small tools for users in my agency using ModelBuilder and/or Python. I would like to be able to control the size of the dialog box that opens when getting user input to a tool.

In the particular case I am requesting the user input a single value/text string. With both Modelbuilder (setting as a parameter) and python (using arcpy.GetParameterAsTest) I get a large dialog box that covers a lot of screen space (see screen grab). I can resize this when running the tool on my computer, however (1) this also applies the same resizing to other dialog boxes where I want a bigger box (e.g I have more parameters to select/enter and require more screen real estate) (2) this resizing only applies to my computer (AFAIK).

Is there a way that I can configure the size of the dialog box for a particular tool (and have it saved with the tool so that the same size dialog box is used for any other users of the tool. I am going to distribute the tools as a number of Arc toolboxes, The second screenshot shows something more like the size I would like for this particular tool. Would hopefully adding tool help with the tools.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

There are no controls for dialog size that I can see for either type of toolbox.

A quick tour of creating tools with Python—Geoprocessing and Python | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
MarkFawkes
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dan

Thanks for the prompt answer. As usual with Arc, will have to go with

what we have available. I ws hoping for some sort of control so that my

final tools could impress the basic users!

Cheers

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The days of the Dialog Designer with ArcView 2.x/3.x are long gone.  Even python's Tk doesn't behave with ArcMap or Pro

0 Kudos