Changing Default Location for newly added Layer Package files

02-15-2018 02:16 PM
BrianE
by
Occasional Contributor II

Is there a way to change the default location for newly added LPKX files? I am part of an company that works off a shared network server. When I insert a layer package it places it in a geodatabase that is locally saved on my computer:

C:\Users\myname\Documents\ArcGIS\Packages\Building_Floor_Wireframes_92F8D8FE-E02C-4DB0-897A-FBFDCA5C4EF2\p20\project.gdb

Why is this?

Our projects are all located on a server so if a someone else opens up my project the newly added LYKX file is not linked.

6 Replies
BrianE
by

Any insight into why this happens? Is there a way to tell Pro to pull it into a DIFFERENT location? 

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Brian,

I don't know the reason why this path was chosen as the default path, but there's not presently an option to customize it, the way you can reset the default project path. I understand that it's a planned enhancement but don't have a time frame. Martin Minkowski might be able to add some context.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Extract Package—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

Summary

Extracts the contents of a package to a specified folder. The output folder will be updated with the extracted contents of the input package.

There is an existing enhancement request: [ENH-000105809: User wants to change the location manually when unpacking the package in ArcGIS Pro.]

You could call technical support and add your requirements to that request so that you're attached to it.

0 Kudos
BrianE
by

2.2 has a great drag and drop feature. We can pull layer packages from Explorer right into a map. This is great BUT Pro still saves them locally to the users C drive.

WHY??!!!!

This makes it impossible to work on a network where multiple people are working on one map.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Could not agree more with the poster on this basic concept?  Just another reason why Pro is still not ready to replace ArcMap.

Do you know if there is an Idea that can be voted on for the functionality that you are looking for?

0 Kudos
BrianE
by

Just added. Please vote:

https://community.esri.com/ideas/15217 

0 Kudos