Can't edit personal geodatabase (.mdb) in ArcMap

06-20-2018 04:53 AM
JeremyCarnahan1
New Contributor

I have an .mdb file from a client and I need to adjust the location of some objects in it. I can select objects with the editing tools in ArcMap but can't move anything. How can I make these modifications?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I wonder if it's a permissions issue....

That should just about do it....
TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

To do a quick test, in regards to a permission issue, try to:

Outside of ArcMap, within your window system, open the mdb you were given by double clicking on it from windows file explorer (you will be opening it from the Windows MS Access program).  If you are then prompted for a password, or get messsage along the lines that it is read only then it has been secured.  If it does open without error or warning try to create a test table and or query.  If your able to do this then it is not a permissions issue.

Another thought came to mind:  Open up Access and perform a database compaction 

JeremyCarnahan1
New Contributor

Thanks Ted - there was no messages or password required to open and edit the MDB file.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

where are you in this documents?

Connecting to a Microsoft Access database in ArcGIS—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

but you indicate it was one created in ArcMap (mdb) but not specifically a Microsoft one

TedKowal
Occasional Contributor III

Can you select the move option when editing?  If you can then you should be able to move the object.  If not.... upload a representative personalgeodatabase with a a feature class that does not work (move)...make sure there is no sensitive data... and I and I am sure others will take a look at it further...  It is sounding like more of corrupted data problem.. than anything else.   Can you export the feature to a shapefile, add that to the map and move the object?  I am trying to trigger a definitive error.....  Right now it is a bunch guesses!