ArcGIS Pro 2.1.3 and Python3

Jump to solution
06-20-2018 07:00 AM
MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

I'm currently in the process of writing/testing scripts with Python3 to be used as Python Scripts Tools with ArcGIS Pro.  I am confused with the Python stack installed with ArcGIS Pro 2.1.  It seems like there is no IDLE- is this true?  Also, if Anaconda comes installed with Pro- how can I create scripts with Python3 to be used in that environment?  Do I need to download Python3 outside of the ArcGIS Pro stack? 

I have downloaded Sublime3 and downloaded Conda within it via the steps outlined here.  But, I still do not know how to test scripts within it that point to the installed packages in the Pro directory.

What is your process of creating/testing scripts to be used with the installed Python3 packages with ArcGIS Pro?

I am very confused and any suggestions or documentation would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Here is the path I have for my shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\Scripts\spyder.exe"

That should just about do it....
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

C:\ArcGISPro\bin\Python\envs\arcgispro-py3\pythonw.exe "C:/ArcGISPro/bin/Python/envs/arcgispro-py3/Scripts/spyder-script.py"

I installed ArcGIS Pro in the bold folder... just replace or add to that so from "bin" on is going to be the same.

So you highlight the spyder-script.py in file explorer, then right-click, make shortcut, drag/send to desktop then edit the path to be as shown.  the double quotes are needed aroung the spyder-script section for sure.  

MitchHolley1
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks, Dan!  That seemed to work.  NOTE:  I had to put double quotes around both paths.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You will have to put double quotes around both paths IFFFFF the paths contain spaces BECAUSE Microsoft doesn't recommend using paths with spaces in them AND to invoke some applications (exe's etc) then need to be enclosed in double quotes.

HMMMM has anyone else heard of this?  you are allowed to put spaces and other flotsam in paths... but the people that designed the operating system recommend otherwise... (glad they aren't parents)

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Dan:

I don't see spyder in my list of Installed Packages from a default installation of Pro install.  Is Spyder an additional install?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

You have to install it using package manager. But...  Have to ask: What version of Pro are you using?  If you've upgraded to 2.2 there is an undocumented feature (aka bug) that breaks the package manager.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for the info Joe.  I also have a Pro machine at 2.1.0 and I can see and install the spyder package so it does look like the Pro upgrade really does a nice job of jamming up the python package manager.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

use conda to install spyder as I have documented in my blogs.  I did it in 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 and 2.2.1.

sheesh... you think they would address the lack of a true python ide sooner rather than later

0 Kudos