Geocoding help

02-16-2018 01:05 PM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Just looking for some clarification on how geocoding works in Pro.  I have created a Geocoder based on a point layer of address points.  It seems to be working as desired when I type addresses into the 'Locate' window.  But when I use the same locator in the Geocode Addresses Geoprocessing tool, the exact same address that I type in the Locate window comes up as 'U' - unmatched.

All of my settings in the Geocoder are set to default.  All I did was specify which fields to use for Number, Road Type, etc.

Also, the list of addresses I am geocoding is actually the table of addresses that make up the point layer the geocoder is based on.  So I would think I would get a 100% match rate, but I am not.

Any advice on how to tweak my geocoder is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
BrianBulla1
Occasional Contributor

Hi sbritt-esristaff‌.  Just wondering if there are any updates to this thread you were helping me out with?

On my end, I have rebuilt my geocoder but I'm still having the same issue as before where it will find 'Jaywin Cl' but not 'Jaywin Circle'.

If there is anything you'd like me to try, just let me know.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian:

I apologize for the delay, I've been working to meet some deadlines for Pro development and haven't been able to circle back to this issue. I have an idea I need to test out and will try to get a response to you this week. What I believe is happening is that the abbreviation you are using for 'Circle' in the reference data is not part of the logic in the locator style, so it doesn't know what to do with it.

A quick note about the field mapping of the locator in your most recent screen shot...

The 'Full Street Name' locator field is not used for address matching, so it is not necessary for it to be mapped to a field in your reference data. The content of the field when mapped is written to the geocode result for labeling if needed. You have a few options for field mapping based on the fields in your reference data. If the "ROAD_FULL" field in the reference data contains all of the street components, it can be mapped to the 'Street Name' field from the locator with no other components mapped (directions, prefix type, suffix type), then map the zone fields like city, state, zip code. If using the US Addresses - Single House Subaddress map "ROAD_FULL" to 'Street Name' and the "UNIT TYPE" and "UNIT NUMBER" fields to 'SubAddr Type' and 'SubAddr Unit'. In the existing locator properties, you could also use the "ROAD TYPE FULL" field to map to 'Suffix Type'.

-Shana

BrianBulla

Hi Shana Britt,

Thanks for the information.  Currently I am experimenting with both US Address - Single House as well as Single House Subaddress.

With our Civic Number, we sometimes have a Civic Number Suffix.  So there could be a 234 Mackenzie Ave as well as a 234A Mackenzie Ave.  Is there a field-mapping in the Single House Subaddress I can use for this??  Currently neither of the styles mentioned above are catching these addresses with a suffix on the Civic Number.

Also, when using the Subaddress style locator you mentioned to map ROAD_FULL to StreetName, but in the Subaddress mapping there is a FullStreetName mapping so I have done it there.  Should I switch it to map to StreetName??

Thanks,

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian,

Sorry for the delayed response, I've been busy with finishing up certifying the next release of ArcGIS Desktop and needed to mock up some of the data based on your screen shots to determine what was wrong and how to fix it.

1. The reason "1625 Jaywin Circle" didn't match was because of the fields you used for field mapping when building the address locator, which was based on the 'TYPE_SHORT' field. This field contained and abbreviation ('Cl') for "Circle" that was not part of the street suffix type aliases grammar in the address locator style.Aliases provide a mechanism to support word substitution beyond what is provided by spelling substitution. Whichever alias form is found in the reference or input data is treated as equivalent. Below is the alias section for Circle in the grammar for the address locator style which does not include 'Cl'. If you had used 'ROAD_TYPE_FULL' field when building the locator searching for "1625 Jaywin Circle" would have found a match in the Locate pane.

Before:

<def name="_ST_Circle" is_alias_list="true">
<alt>Circle</alt>
<alt>Cir</alt>
<alt>Ci</alt>
<alt>Circulo</alt>
<alt>Circ</alt>
<alt>Circl</alt>
<alt>Corcle</alt>
<alt>Cr</alt>
<alt>Crcl</alt>
<alt>Crcle</alt>
<alt>Crl</alt>
</def>

If you use this article as a guide, you can modify the address locator template to add the 'Cl' abbreviation to the Circle street suffix type to look like the following.How To: Add city aliases to the address locator style 

At step 2 in the article search for "suf_type_ext" then scroll down or search for "Circle" until you get to the section I referenced above. After modifying the USAddress.lot.xml recreate the address locator and you should be able to get matches in the Locate pane and when geocoding the table if the street suffix type in the input address is 'Circle' or 'Cl'.

After:

<def name="_ST_Circle" is_alias_list="true">
<alt>Circle</alt>
<alt>Cir</alt>
<alt>Ci</alt>
<alt>Circulo</alt>
<alt>Circ</alt>
<alt>Circl</alt>

<alt>Cl</alt>
<alt>Corcle</alt>
<alt>Cr</alt>
<alt>Crcl</alt>
<alt>Crcle</alt>
<alt>Crl</alt>
</def>

2. Here are some screen shots to clarify my previous explanation about which fields in the reference data in your screenshots that could be used for building the locator. It is not required to map Full Street Name in order to get matches when geocoding, it is only used as an output field when batch geocoding. It's there to use for labeling if you did not had a field that could be used for labeling the geocoded point.

Mock data:

----------------

Possible field mappings:

---------------------------------

3. To handle the house number suffix when using the US Address - Singlehouse Subaddress style to build a locator, concatenate the house number, house number suffix and/or house number prefix in a single field and use the new field to map to House Number when building the locator. See the difference in the mock data example for FULL_CIVIC_NUM and this example includes FULL_CIVIC_NUM.

Results based on the locator field mappings above:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Shana Britt

Sorry for the delay getting back to you.  I have just done some more testing and for some reason everything is working now.  Jaywin Cl and Jaywin Circle are both being found with the locator.  Of course, I think my locator has been modified somewhat since the one we started looking at when I first created this post.  Perhaps even the latest ArcPro update has made an impact??

Anyways, I do have it working now.  I'll test things a bit more and see if I can tweak it based on your suggestions.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos