Slowly loading labels

06-19-2018 07:11 AM
JakubMaliszewski
New Contributor

I am trying to speed up the process of loading labels in ArcMap. There are few layers containing labels that have a conditional form (not only in content but also text formatting). According to Esri guide:

Label expressions slow drawing performance. In particular, avoid using label expression scripts to conditionally parse or format label strings or to concatenate the information in multiple fields into one label string when drawn. Instead, calculate a new field with exactly the information that is needed. The field can include formatting tags.

So instead of using label expressions I stored strings in Attribute Table. I expected a lot faster loading, but labels are loading even a bit slower than before! What am I doing wrong? Here is an example of label string:

<LIN leading = '-5'><FNT size='8' name='Arial narrow CE'><ITA>  So120-1.0</ITA></FNT> <FNT size='8' name='Arial narrow CE'><ITA>a </ITA></FNT><SUP><FNT size='8' name='Arial'>_____________</FNT></SUP></LIN> <LIN leading = '-5'><FNT size='8' name='Arial narrow CE'><ITA>1.63</ITA></FNT></LIN>
0 Kudos
2 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Jakub,

It might help to move this thread into a more appropriate place (like Managing Data‌ or so, since ArcGIS Earth is different from ArcMap).

That is a pretty hefty string you are using. I am guessing labels will just be slow when you have many of them, especially with using conditional forms. It's just the way it is. Just to make sure, have you activated Maplex Label Engine?

What is the Maplex Label Engine?—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
JakubMaliszewski
New Contributor

Adrian,

Thank you for your tips. As you can see I've moved the thread. I'm new to GeoNet and didn't know which place I should choose.

I am using Maplex set to Fast, so in this field I can't see any more options to boost performance (also my project has quite strict labeling guidelines, so it means even less options).

I have, indeed, quite a lot of labels, also with formatting tags, nevertheless there should be a difference between labels from label expressions and just from attribute table. Expressions mean a lot more operations to do! Yet, the difference is not only minimal, but also opposite to expected. There is definitely something wrong.

0 Kudos