Point to Profile Graph that Maintains Attribute Data

06-13-2018 02:15 PM
KimberlyMcGarry
New Contributor

I am new to many of the 3D tools, but am looking to make profile graphs.  I have a GPS point file with northing, easting, elevation, and description code.  The points were collected along the length of a road in transects and the description code tells where each point was taken (edge of pavement, center line, etc).  I would like to make profile graphs from the GPS points, which I know can be done with 3D Analyst.  The problem is that I would like to classify the points in the profile graph by their description code. For example, I would like to be able to make a profile graph that shows the center line profile, the edge of pavement profile, etc.  Is there a way to link attribute data to a profile graph so I can classify by description code? Alternatively, is there a way to automatically calculate distances between points in a line, so I can export the data into Excel and manually create my profile graphs? Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
TracyThorleifson
New Contributor III

Kimberly, it sounds like your problem is actually a linear referencing problem. If you have (or can digitize) a centerline polyline for your road, you can readily use the out-of-the-box ArcMap linear referencing tools to tackle your problem.

1. Convert your road centerline polyline into a route feature using the Create Routes tool. This will convert your centerline polyline to an M-aware polyline (route), and establish a linear system of measurement along the route.
  2. Use the Locate Features Along Routes tool to locate your GPS points along the route; this tool will assign a measure value to each GPS point that defines the point's location along the route in terms of the route's system of measurement.
  3. Use Excel (or just about any graphing tool capable of creating a scatter-plot) to create your profile graphs. The Y-axis will be elevation; the X-Axis will be measure. In Excel, you can filter your GPS points by type, and, of course, in ArcMap, you can symbolize them by type.

Good luck!

T.

0 Kudos