How to export point features [xy data] symbol into line features [strike/dip]?

05-26-2018 07:39 PM
AbdulhaqKamil
New Contributor

HI,

I've been using ArcGIS to create Geological Map with Strike/Dip symbol in it. In ArcGIS, to create that symbol, we just had to import XY Coordinates (Point Features) and change the symbology into Strike/Dip [ESRI Geology]. I like to use ArcGIS for making geological map because ArcGIS can rotate the all data automatically to its strike value. I've tried to export it into shp for friend of mine to use it in GlobalMapper or Canvas, but whenever they import those shp files into GlobalMapper and Canvas, the software only read it in point, not with strike/dip symbol. Is there any chance for me to export that strike/dip symbol into shapefiles that any other GIS Software will read it with strike/dip symbol (Line Feature) and not point anymore?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Abdulhaq,

To export a shapefile and keep the symbology, you have to export it as a layer file. Instructions here:

Saving layers and layer packages—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
AbdulhaqKamil
New Contributor

Thank you, Adrian

I've tried to create layer package of my xy data that has a strike/dip in its symbol and open it in Global Mapper but Global Mapper still read it as a point instead of strike/dip. So, does the strike/dip symbol from ArcGIS can not be read in Global Mapper?

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Global Mapper probably has their own symbol properties which differ from arcmap or ArcGIS Pro's

0 Kudos