Looking for Collector case study for environmental reviews

05-23-2018 01:39 PM
KiriCarini
New Contributor II

I'm looking for a case study or example of using Collector to conduct and collect data for environmental review. I manage federal funding for county government and we are responsible for NEPA & Section 106 compliance on all of our projects. Specifically we do 100s of home repair projects, either managed by our County team or by local organizations that we give money to and they all must go through this process. We currently use a very simple parcel layer that we share with our Cultural Resource team to review projects, but all the initial information is submitted on paper forms. I would like to modernize and streamline our process so that the information the guys in the field collect goes straight to a database that can be reviewed by myself and Cultural Resources. Any suggestions or resources would be much appreciated!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Jean-YvesLauture
New Contributor III

Dear Kiri,

From the following link, you can find some various case studie:  https://eos-gnss.com/category/news/success-stories/ 

Best regards,

Jean-Yves 

KiriCarini
New Contributor II

Thank you, I'll take a look.

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kiri,

Here are a couple that are "landscape" related:

Hope these help,

KiriCarini
New Contributor II

Thank you. I'll look into these.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kiri,

> ... but all the initial information is submitted on paper forms.

One other point: for form-based data collection, you may want to look into using Survey123 for ArcGIS - which might meet your needs better. Here's a quick video,

Survey123 for ArcGIS Product Overview video (3 mins)

Hope this helps,

KiriCarini
New Contributor II

Thanks for pointing this out. I was thinking that I was going to have to use a combination of Survey123 to mimic my environmental review form and Collector to connect to my existing parcel database, but looking at the Survey123 videos maybe I can accomplish everything with just Survey123. Last time I used Collector (for damage assessments) I don't think Survey123 even existed, so now I'm trying to catch up and see what will work best. Thank you!

RussellTait4
New Contributor II

Kiri

As Derek pointed out, Survey123 is a powerful, flexible (and new-ish) tool that is great for data collection.  See Collector vs Survey123 for a comparison by one of ESRI's leads on this, Ismael Chivite.

Beyond the basics of Survey123, ESRI's AppStudio allows the building of all sorts of custom tools for web based or platform-native data collection, e.g. an Appstore iOS app, that even works offline. (Survey123 was built with AppStudio).  If you are interested in navigating to random locations, there is another fun tool called Trek2There by the same ESRI team. This integrates with Collector or Survey 123, "..a smart compass that will always point to your destination" - helpful for finding places/objects that can not just be specified by a street address. Of course, Trek2There was built in AppStudio as well. Good luck!

KiriCarini
New Contributor II

Thank you for these links. I'm compiling everything I'm learning so I can present a general outline to management of what we need to do. 

0 Kudos