ArcGIS Pro 2.1 | How to drag a polygon with Explore tool?

Jump to solution
05-24-2018 02:11 AM
VincentLaunstorfer
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I am getting frustrated with the new Explore tool (Map tab) in ArcGIS Pro as I cannot click & drag a polygon to explore (formely identify in ArcMap) multiple features. Is there any workaround?

If there is no solution, please ESRI add this functionality to the next release.

There is always the option to click & drag with the Select tool but I have to open attribute tables in order to explore my features. It is rather cumbersome, in addition to ArgGIS Pro being slow.

Thanks

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This is in ArcGIS Pro 2.2 which is the upcoming release:

To do a rectangle select with the Explore tool, hold Ctrl and drag a rectangle:

Holding Shift will give you the zoom rectangle.  

View solution in original post

27 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you referring to holding down the Shift key then dragging the mouse to form a rectangle?

Navigation shortcuts plus other links around this thread

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Not quite.

Shift + click opens the zoom in icon for the mouse pointer, in order to draw a rectangle to zoom in.

I am referring to click & drag a rectangle only to "select" multiple features in the Explore tool in order to scroll through the selection in the pop-up window. Just like it used to be in the Identify tool in ArcMap... Simple things but it makes work easier and faster...

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Same idea... just a different tool

0 Kudos
VincentLaunstorfer

Exactly. This is what I currently do. But it forces me to open all relevant feature class tables in order to explore the attributes... Not the best.

To me, the former Identify tool in ArcMap was more flexible and powerful!

Thanks

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This is in ArcGIS Pro 2.2 which is the upcoming release:

To do a rectangle select with the Explore tool, hold Ctrl and drag a rectangle:

Holding Shift will give you the zoom rectangle.  

VincentLaunstorfer

Good news!

Will this improved Explore tool (to Identify features) be able to click & drag polygon to select with multiple options? The Explore has currently Topmost/Visible/Selectable/... Will it be possible to select features only in a given group layer?

Looking forward to use this tool...

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Yes, you should be able to control only working with a group layer using Selected in Contents and highlighting just that group layer.

In the example above, drawing a box around a feature in Cities, Countries, and Contours, only returns the Cities and Countries features and not the contour because the group layer is Selected in Contents and only contains Cities and Countries.

0 Kudos
AaronCraig2
Occasional Contributor

So how do we do this? I tried shift click and only get a zoom in window.

ESRI should really make this a button. Who the heck knows any keyboard hotkey combos ... INTUITIVELY ....?? Where as visible buttons a labels/drop downs are way easier to self teach/intuitive. I miss identify. It seemed like it had less over head and was faster.