Is it possible to use select_one and pulldata() together?

Jump to solution
03-01-2017 10:56 AM
KaceyCummings
New Contributor II

I am pre-populating a survey using the pulldata() function and was hoping to use it in conjunction with choice lists (in the event that the native data needs to be updated). It looks like this is not a possibility. In fact, pre-populated fields with type = text will no longer populate when the select_one feature is added to a different field using the pulldata calc. 

Any suggestions/workarounds?

0 Kudos
40 Replies
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

We have inspectors and crew members that need to be updated fairly often in select_one questions.  Is the functionality coming soon where we can just search a .csv?  That would save a lot of time & overhead for our company.  We have some painful hoops to jump through just to republish a service in our production environment.

Thanks!

Shana

0 Kudos
ShanaGail1
Occasional Contributor

Hi James,

Any update on when this will be available?

Thanks,

Shana

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Shana,

This was made available in version 2.7 of Survey123, made available in the beginning of April - see https://community.esri.com/groups/survey123/blog/2018/04/03/international-mine-awareness-day-27 

0 Kudos
MarkSalvadore
New Contributor

James could you give a brief example of how to use the search() function?  Specifically as it relates to "populating a select_one choice list's via an external CSV file"?

The notes in the International Mine Awareness Day post only mentions the following as it relates to the select_one field: "Calculate select_ones: Last but not least, you can now calculate values in select_one questions.  That is, you can trigger a selection on a select_one question from a calculation". 

The search function isn't actually mentioned in that post.  I tried using the search() function in appearance as it's done in XLSForm spec and I get a "value is not valid" error.

FinnianO_Connor
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Mark,

Wondering were you successful getting the select_one choices populated from an external csv? Like you I tried following the XLSForm guide but couldn't get it to work. Wondering if I'm missing something, or perhaps I'm misunderstanding James Tedrick‌ as to what the functionality does

Cheers,

Finnian

0 Kudos
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

I think he was referring to the ability just to search a csv file via the pulldata function. As far as I know the ability to pre-populate select_one fields from a .csv (using pulldata with a select_one field) has not been made available.

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Mark,

Survey123 has not implemented the search() function to lookup a set of choices; the calculation support mentioned refers to setting the selected value.

0 Kudos
Stephanie_F
Esri Contributor

Hi James Tedrick,

Is the search() functionality indicated above that would allow someone to populate a select_one choice list with an external CSV currently in the works and possibly have a release date/plan? Is there a BUG or ENH associated with the functionality?

Hope to hear back!

Regards,

Stephanie

0 Kudos
JamesTedrick

Hi Stephanie,

I'm not seeing a specific ENH- that covers this issue.  At this point, there is not a definite timeline for release of this feature.

0 Kudos
Pauline_Low_Pui_Ling
New Contributor II

Hi James,

It has been a while since this question was asked by others but would like to know if the latest version of Survey123 allows us to populate select_one choice list from a csv file in the media folder? Tried looking up for this functionality but not much besides from this thread..

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Pauline

0 Kudos