Help Out UC Newbies and Share Your UC Tips!

05-05-2017 05:39 PM
ChrisCatania
Esri Community Team

It's almost that time of year. As we get ready for the User Conference, we want to help first-time attendees prepare, so we're looking for those who have been to UC before to offer tips, advice and share other helpful knowledge to help first-timers make the most out of their experience.

So, let us know... what should first-time attendees do to prepare and have a successful UC? What should they do during and after the event to maximize learning and networking? What strategies work for you? What do you wish you did differently at your first or last UC? 

Your tips will be shared here on GeoNet in the User Conference group, as well as in other pre-UC communications going out over the next couple months. Post your tips below and thanks for sharing and spreading the word! 

See what others have previously shared each year below.

Esri Community Strategist
88 Replies
GlennLetham2
Occasional Contributor II

Wifi is usually quite good and dependable. The plenary session can max it out at times but that can be expected - likely due to all the media uploading, particularly video. As a courtesy to all, please don't be sucking up the free wifi and streaming Netflix ;0) 

0 Kudos
GlennLetham2

Indeed there's LOTS to do and lots to plan for.. the key is planning! Last year I shared 10 tips of things you don't want to miss - the list likely still holds again for this year as the events are pretty much the same again... have a good show and see you there maybe!! 

ESRIUC and 10 Things You Don’t Want to Miss! 

http://www.geo-jobe.com/events/2017-esriuc-10-things-dont-want-miss-uctips/ 

0 Kudos
MarkBerry2
New Contributor

Good stuff.  I would have created a new '2018' thread but there's enough info here to be helpful for this year for sure.

Other than the thursday night party where you need to get a band for ...do you need to 'register' for any of the other social events or even special interest groups so they have an idea on numbers? (ie. YPN event etc.; years ago i heard about canada nite..is that still around?)  Is it cash only (some plastic?) for some things at these extra events(ie. refreshments...or free )?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
GlennLetham2

If there's a DevMeetup put on by the Esri Dev crew you need to register for that (they usually use a meetup page for that), follow Amy Niessen for updates on that https://community.esri.com/events/2375-geodev-meetup-at-uc-san-diego-ca . Canada night is free but you do need a wristband - it's funny but often its pretty much restricted to Canadians and Esri Canada users/customers, YPN is open and pretty awesome!! Keep an eye open for vendor parties on Tuesday and Wed, there's usually tons of them and ask around about the Water/wastewater party, it can get rocking!! Unsure about plastic etc... I usually use cash - some parties will have a hosted bar

0 Kudos
CharlottePapp

Hi Mark,

There are separate registrations for the Science Symposium and GIS Managers Open Summit as well. Though these are free events. You would also need to register for the 5K and for Morning Yoga. These have an additional fee.

Most other SIGs and Socials will not have a registration. If they do it will say so in the description. Generally refreshments served at socials will be complimentary for attendees. Depending on the social, they may have a cash or open bar. If it is a cash bar then you should plan on it being cash only.

Also, if this is your first time attending, check out the Orientation for New Attendees session on Sunday night!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Thanks,

Charlotte

0 Kudos
KellyPilarski
New Contributor III

Are there any suggestions for parking? We are unfamiliar with the parking situation at the convention center and the costs that are associated with it. 

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

As of last year, parking was $20/day in the Convention Center Parking lot. There are 2 or 3 sublevels of parking underneath the convention center and I've never had any issue finding a spot as long as you're there at the beginning of the day. There have been some years when the Padres have had a day game or a night game during the conference and the baseball fans will then fill in the parking but it's not an issue if you're there at the beginning of the day like you're going to be.

There is an additional parking garage south of the convention center next to the Bayfront Hilton but I don't know the specifics of pricing. The downtown hotels have their own onsite parking for their guests but that's pricey. The trolley can be an option to get to the convention center as well. I've been going for nearly 20 years and have always just parked at the convention center (but it used to be $10/day as recently as 2 years ago).

KellyPilarski
New Contributor III

Thank you, you answered perfectly! 

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

No problem. I should also add that the $20 rate also applies on the weekend. I normally get my registration / map gallery stuff done on Sunday afternoon and paying $20 for about an hour's worth of time at the convention center stinks but it is what it is.

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

For some reason, I remember parking on Friday (last day of the conference) being $25 instead of $20, the last two years. The Padres had a game on that Friday two years so maybe that was why?

I'd be curious to know if anyone else has more tips on this!

0 Kudos