can we find build environment on maps in ArcGIS

Jump to solution
05-17-2018 08:06 AM
NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

Is there any way that we can import images from Google Maps or any other sources to ArcGIS desktop, and then find the % of the built environment?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

From what I can tell, it might not be possible to perform image classification on a basemap. Take a look at this thread for potential alternative ideas:

raster - Image classification from "Imagery" basemap ArcGIS 10.2 - Geographic Information Systems St... 

Would using Landsat data be a suitable alternative?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Nasser,

What are you trying to do exactly? Are you trying to determine urban areas from an aerial photo? Or something similar? What tools do you have (ArcMap, ArcGIS Pro, Spatial Analyst license, etc.)?

Maybe take a look at Summarize Raster Within—RasterAnalysis Tools | ArcGIS Desktop 

It requires ArcGIS Image Server. But, there may be other tools you need based on what you are trying to do.

NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the information.

I have ArcGIS Desktop 10.5 (ArcMap). I want to find the areas that are not built such as walkways, open area, etc. So after uploading the image (or map) into the ArcMap, I want to find the % of areas that are built.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

That requires image classification (there are topics in the help files).

You might have more success to see if the municipality of interest has an open data portal.

NasserSharareh1
New Contributor III

Thanks. I do have image classification wizard in the ArcMap. Now, the problem is that how I can do image classification on Basemap? Or where should I get the Raster image of the place that I want to work on?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

From what I can tell, it might not be possible to perform image classification on a basemap. Take a look at this thread for potential alternative ideas:

raster - Image classification from "Imagery" basemap ArcGIS 10.2 - Geographic Information Systems St... 

Would using Landsat data be a suitable alternative?

0 Kudos