What are the definitions of "workgroup geodatabase" and "desktop geodatabase"?

Jump to solution
10-16-2017 01:18 PM
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

How does Esri define and differentiate "workgroup geodatabases" and "desktop geodatabases".

The table of client and geodatabase compatibility identifies "Enterprise, workgroup, or desktop geodatabase" as distinct geodatabase types.

In the same help section, enterprise geodatabases are described, but the terms "workgroup geodatabase" and "desktop geodatabase" are not defined.

Searching the help for the term "workgroup geodatabase" leads to this topic, which discusses creating desktop or workgroup geodatabases, but doesn't distinguish between them.

Further complicating this is the use of the term ArcSDE, which has not existed as a product since the 10.2.2 release.

So, what are the definitions of "desktop geodatabase" and "workgroup geodatabase"? Would it be possible for Esri to provide a cleaned up, concise definition of the various geodatabase types, using consistent terminology?

Tags (1)
24 Replies
AZendel

Hello all.  I'm wondering what you all think about my "idea" to allow more than just 2 or 3 connections when only 1 user is connected to a "Desktop Geodatabase". Thoughts?

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Interesting, I should test what you are saying is happening to you.  Looking at Esri documentation, Types of geodatabases—ArcGIS Help | ArcGIS Desktop  states:

Beginning at ArcGIS 9.2, ArcGIS Desktop Standard and Desktop Advanced includes an installation of Microsoft SQL Server Express. These software products also include ArcSDE capabilities to support enterprise geodatabases in SQL Server Express for up to three simultaneous desktop users.

and What are ArcGIS database servers?—Help | ArcGIS Desktop states:

If you have ArcGIS Desktop (Desktop Standard and Desktop Advanced) or ArcGIS Engine with the Geodatabase Update extension, you can set up a database server and create geodatabases that can be accessed by a few users and edited by one user at a time.

All of the doucmentation clearly status "users," not connections.  If what you are experiencing is true, I would say it is a bug.

0 Kudos
AZendel

Thanks for responding. I realize the documentation says "users", but I think it's really limiting the number of connections. It would be interesting to know what you find if you test it. I should mention that I'm still using ArcGIS Desktop 10.3.1 and I'm fairly certain that the "Personal ArcSDE" version that I'm using was installed via the 10.3.1 installation media.  What version are you using?

Here's how you can test the number of connections. Create a geodatabase on the "Database Servers" node in ArcCatalog and import some data into it. Leave the connection open in ArcCatalog. Launch ArcMap and add the data from the Personal SDE database. Save the MXD.  Launch several more instances of ArcMap and open the MXD. Do you eventually see something all of the red exclamation points indicating broken links (because Personal SDE denied more connections)?

This is the situation that led to the above screenshot. ArcCatalog is browsing the database.  I opened 2 mxd's that point at the database and they can connect.  When I open a 3rd MXD, I get the exclamation points. I wasn't editing any of the feature classes. Nobody else is connected to this "Database Server" that's installed on the same machine that I connecting from. Similar situations can happen if you're running a geoprocessing script - that counts as a connection.  Over the years I've noticed that ArcMap doesn't always release connections to various databases (mdb, gdb, SDE) when a new MXD is opened that doesn't reference any geodatabases (like a blank MXD). In this situation, ArcCatalog sometimes complains about locks when you try to change something about a feature class or table. This situation sometimes causes me to hit my 3-ish connection limit even though the MXD isn't referencing anything. Frustrating.

0 Kudos
Asrujit_SenGupta
MVP Regular Contributor

Well it actually limits the number of connections. The connecting user doesn't matter.

I feel this is valid, as otherwise everyone in an Organisation will be given the same Credentials for login, and then there is no limit to the number of connections.

0 Kudos
JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I understand what you are saying, and I don't disagree with the behavior, I think it is a very poor choice of words on Esri's part in their documentation because a user and connection are not synonymous. 

0 Kudos