Surface difference output raster in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2

05-14-2018 11:34 PM
MarkHansen1
New Contributor II

Hi,

I'm trying to generate an output raster in a surface difference but i'm getting: ERROR 000210: Cannot create output.

The surface difference works without the raster output option.  I can also output tins ok.

I've tried to output to a GDB, to a folder (many different folders), checked for invalid characters in the name/folders etc.   nothing works.

It will work in Arcmap 10.6 but i am using LAS datasets and these don't work in the surface difference routine in  arcmap 10.6.

Is this another Arcgis bug?  Anyone know how to get around this?

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Can you provide the names that you are using?

It seems in the examples they are using shapefiles as output which means you would have to specify the *.shp file extension. 

There is also a code example that shows how to create a unique output filename

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/3d-analyst/surface-difference.htm

0 Kudos
MarkHansen1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,  there are multiple outputs available for the surface difference function.  the shapefile is basically the zero contour from the volume calc.  I have no issue with that bit.  the raster output and tin output are optional extras.

it's not a file name issue.  I have tried to save to brand new (empty) directories and GDB's.  I have made the output file as simple as c:/temp/out.tif or c:/out.tif.  I have tried ecw and jpg and no extension for the default esri grid (i forget what its called) format.  tried writing to many different directories with no success.

it might be a bug.  there is a bug in the surface difference routine in arcmap where it won't accept LAS datasets as inputs (but it should), thats why i'm using Pro.

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Do you have a link to the bug? it might have been extended into pro as well

I don't have any data to test with, sorry

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Mark... found the bug.... https://support.esri.com/en/bugs/nimbus/QlVHLTAwMDExMTQ0OA== 

BUG-000111448

Which says to use ArcGIS Pro 2.1, which I presume you are using.

0 Kudos
MarkHansen1
New Contributor II

Hi Dan,  that bug relates to Arcmap 10.6 not accepting LAS datasets as an input.  i asked about that a couple of weeks ago.

So, to get around that bug I am using Pro 2.1 - but now i cant generate the raster output of the volume surface running the routine in Pro.

I think it is a bug but am just seeking clarification in case i'm doing something silly.  I am fairly new to esri products.

I can take two simple tins in arcmap 10.6, do a surface difference and generate a raster of the volume surface.  If I take the same two surfaces and try to duplicate it in Pro it fails.

But I want to use LAS datasets so I have to use Pro.  

Thanks,

Mark

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I know.. but when it says to use PRO 2.1 and you are, and it isn't working, then it is time to pass it on to Tech Support, since there is either something wrong with their advise, or the data or process.  

Good luck

0 Kudos