Blank responses in repeats showing the answers from other repeats in Survey123

04-25-2018 10:31 AM
AndrewRyan3
New Contributor III

I am having a strange issue with the way that Survey123 is displaying answers within repeats in the survey123 app on windows PC's. I have tested this on several pcs and run into the same issue.

Basically, I have a repeat for entering multiple events that occur throughout the day. Most of the questions are answered for each event, but there are a couple that sometimes are left blank. The answer to these questions are used to calculate other answers within the repeat, but they are not strictly necessary from a data collection stand point.

What happens is that the first several repeats will leave these questions blank. Then an event happens that requires them and the field staff will fill them in. Then, when a new repeat is created with the "+" sign, the last entered values will show in the new questions. They will also show up if you scroll back to the previous blank questions. If you add new values in a different repeat, then those values will show in the blanks until you scroll to a repeat that has entered values.

The one nice thing about all of this is that the values that weren't entered, but display in blank answers don't get written to the service when the form is submitted. That is the expected outcome based on the fact that no values were entered for the questions, but it is difficult to tell which questions have actual answers and which were meant to be blank.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I didn't see this behavior with previous versions of the survey123 app, and think it might be related to the update.

Other notes:

• The repeat contains a geopoint question
  • Two of the fields that are showing this behavior are numerical, and are for staff to enter latitude and longitude in degrees decimal-minutes and then several calculations convert them to decimal degrees to populate the geopoint question.
  • Other questions in the repeat that behave this way include an integer value, and a choose_one, so its not just one type of question that is having issues.

Attached is a screen capture of the portion of the form that is having issues with displaying repeat answers. Just so you have an idea of what the reppeat looks like.

Thanks for any help!

7 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

This sounds like a bug. Could you share your survey .xls so I can take a look at what is happening?

Thanks

John

0 Kudos
AndrewRyan3
New Contributor III

I'm thinking its a bug too. It seems to just be a weird display issue, but it does make it tough to sell to my managers.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Andrew

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Ryan - I have raised a bug for this and attached your repro case to it.

I'll update this post with developments.

Thanks

John

AndrewRyan3
New Contributor III

Thank You.

0 Kudos
RenatoSalvaleon
Occasional Contributor III

I wonder if this is similar to the issue I have with Repeat groups with that are triggered by relevant questions. @AndrewRyan, does your repeat groups have relevant questions? Here's the link to my question: https://community.esri.com/thread/213589-calculate-not-working-with-survey-27

I'm using the repeat group for the same purpose as you are to calculate values from a pulldata that are still used elsewhere in the form. 

0 Kudos
AndrewRyan3
New Contributor III

Hi Renato,

The questions in my group do have relevant answers within the repeat that I did not specify in the relevant field. I read through the question you linked too and added a relevancy for all of the calculation questions. That was a great idea, and I think it made my form work better with survey123, but I am still having the issue with the values being copied between repeats.

I am now thinking that the relevancy issue is related to the fact that the calculations are then used to populate a geopoint (still in the same repeat), and that is where the problem lies. If I could add default data to the initial questions, but not have that value display until the survey is submitted, I think it might fix the problem.

Right now, I think having a blank question  with relevant calculations that feed the issue.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
AndrewRyan3
New Contributor III

P.S. I am only having this issue with survey123 for Windows PC. My ipad and samsung tablets display the survey correctly.

0 Kudos