ArcMap 10.5.1 Properties slow

09-04-2017 10:42 AM
JulianJungfels1
New Contributor II

Hi, clicking on  "Properties" results in a wait time of 10 Seconds. ArcMap 10.5.1. Set up new MXD, no big files just aerial photos and shome shapes. 

69 Replies
Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

Great!  Keep me posted on your progress and I'll research what I can to assist you with resolving this issue.

0 Kudos
GeneH_Chesco
New Contributor III

We're seeing the same slow opening of the Properties window on our new Windows 10 PC's with clean installations of 10.5.1. There are 3 of us running Windows 10 now while everyone else is using Windows 7. We do not see this slow opening of the Properties window with 10.5.1. on Windows 7 PC's, but all consistently experience it on Windows 10 whether working with local or networked MXD's. It takes 16-20 seconds to open.

We do not use SQL and are an Oracle shop using the Oracle 11.2.0.4 64-bit instant client to connect to our Oracle servers.

We renamed the Desktop10.5 folders within %appdata%/ESRI/ and %localappdata%/ESRI/ to refresh configuration settings, but that did nothing to resolve the issue.

Has anyone found a resolution for this?

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

I downgraded to 10.4.x and never updated one from 10.3.x. 

ArcGIS Pro 2.1 is glitchy too and several tools we use don't work (building mosaics for example).  Also found that you have to have access to the main purchasing account to update, this is bull**** but I digress.    

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

For the mosaics you were building, did they not work in Pro or did they not work in the version of ArcMap that you are using?  Pro 2.1.2 correlates to ArcMap 10.6 and if you build a mosaic in 10.6 you can not use it in a earlier version of ArcMap (not backwards compatible), so maybe that's what you were encountering.

0 Kudos
MichaelHewitt
Occasional Contributor

I mean this should probably be on another thread, but I have ArcGIS Pro 2.1.  It works fine for georeferencing and other common tasks, although the catalog has issues and takes some getting used to.  The geodatabases and mosaics were built in ArcCatalog 10.4.x or 10.3.x originally.  I remember trying to edit them and it wasn't working.  Thanks for the heads up about the compatibility issues.  That will be a problem for our workflow.  

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry to have hijacked this thread with the mosaic issue, but here's the thread where I found this info which I hope you find useful to determining your workflow:

https://community.esri.com/thread/213761-is-it-possible-to-use-a-mosaic-dataset-that-is-created-in-a... 

JasonBarnes1
New Contributor II

I'm having the exact same problem here, entering any layer property takes anywhere from 8-10 seconds. This is literally eating up hours of my time every week and is super frustrating. I've done everything listed on this thread (clearing cache, resetting profile, etc.) and nothing has changed the behavior. It happens on every mxd I have and all data is stored locally, no SQL. I realize every situation is different, but am curious if anyone has had an epiphany with their issue.

MattNash
New Contributor III

I'm having the same problem.  New machine with ArcGIS Desktop 10.6, Windows 10, everything is fresh.  Opening layer properties takes 10+ seconds.  I've tried all suggestions for improving performance, fresh mxds, new normal.mxt, local data vs server, and on and on, but no change. 

Also editing both local file geodatabases and SDE is really slow, don't know if that's related.

EDIT:  Found out the problem with slow editing was because of a corrupt user profile on the organization system.  Still having the problem with slow opening of properties.  Also, opening ArcMap options takes 15 +/- seconds to open.  Sure would like to know if anybody has found a solution....

KostasFrantzios1
New Contributor II

I am having the exact same problem. Slow opening of properties an ArcMap options! ArcGIS Desktop 10.6, Windows 10

Andemik
New Contributor II

As for me, in earlier ArcGIS (10.3, 4, 5) open slow only labels in layer properties, but now (ArcGIS 10.6 Win10) open all layer properties takes 10+ seconds, and other inside properties (labels, general, symbology) load single fast. May dewelopers have changed the way to invoke the layer properties?