What is your take on ArcGIS Pro

03-09-2018 01:48 PM
ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

I have started using ArcGIS Pro for a project looking at Groundwater Vulnerability to Nitrate contamination.  I decided that this would be a good project to use to really become acquainted with Pro.  I am glad that I am using Pro, I am finding that it is truly much more responsive than using the desktop.  Actions that would take upwards of of half hour or more are only taking seconds.  I am been able to clip every statewide layer down to the county that I am modeling first.  I took me a little bit to get used to the interface, and Esri has been very accommodating to help me get off and running. 

There are some quirks with the interface that I would like to see changed or added in time, but all in all I am very impressed.  I am wondering what everyone else who is using Pro, what is your opinion of the product?  Please give me your true thoughts.

Good job with this products usability.

Chad 

Tags (2)
136 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Fiona Renton‌ don't forgot to vote on ArcGIS Pro Publish Services To ArcGIS Server . Not being able to publish to server from Pro is a serious barrier to using Pro for most existing GIS server users, whom don't have the resources to install and administer a Portal, nor do they have a need to when the Arc Map -> Server path work perfectly fine, and there is no need for the extra overhead of a Portal that serves no benefit when all you need is a REST service. 

FionaRenton1
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks, I agree, but I have resigned myself to try it out this summer with the next Enterprise upgrade. I thought by now they may have caved on this. I'm told it is a "new paradigm."  

There may be some other threads that ask this - Why do you need Portal if you can write a little bit of JavaScript, and have your own hosting platform already?

FionaRenton1
Occasional Contributor II

I may have voted this issue up in the past as the upvote didn't change

GeanninaMoraga_López
New Contributor

Hola Chad! me interesa mucho conocer la metodología de la modelización de nitratos en aguas subterráneas! Yo trabajo en el Laboratorio de Hidrología de la Universidad Nacional de Costa Rica y queremos incursionar en este tipo de estudios. Agradecería si me comparte alguna publicación o reporte técnico...o quizás en el futuro poder conocernos y transferir conocimiento al respecto

Saludos desde Costa Rica.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Aunque hablo Espanol (y he vivido algunos anhos en la Osa!!!), facilitar'e la traduccion:

(thanks Google Translate)

Hello Chad! I am very interested in knowing the methodology of nitrate modeling in groundwater! I work in the Hydrology Laboratory of the National University of Costa Rica and we want to venture into this type of studies. I would appreciate if you share any publication or technical report ... or maybe in the future to know and transfer knowledge about it   Greetings from Costa Rica.

ChadKopplin
Occasional Contributor III

Geannina Moraga Lopez,

Thank you Kory for the interpretation I will post our findings when complete, we are ready to run a correlation analysis on the model, that should run over the next couple of months.

Translation from Google Translate:

Geannina Moraga Lopez,  
Gracias, Kory por la interpretación, publicaré nuestros
hallazgos cuando los complete, estamos listos para ejecutar un análisis de correlación
en el modelo, que se ejecutará en los próximos meses.
BrandonPowell1
Occasional Contributor

I can't use Pro yet because the Business Analyst toolbar from ArcMap is barely supported in Pro.