Highly available Portal and federated ArcGIS Server

Jump to solution
07-20-2017 11:25 AM
AzinSharaf
Occasional Contributor II

Since we are interested in IWA with a highly available federated ArcGIS Server and Portal (See diagram below), does the federated ArcGIS Server need web adaptor?

In Esri’s diagram ArcGIS Server doesn’t have web adaptor so I assume:
- If users connect via Portal, they should pass Portal web adaptor (wa1 and wa2).
- Third party web applications can connect to GIS services on ArcGIS Server only via 6080 or 6443, so how IWA works here when we don’t have web adaptor on ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
PayneRingling
New Contributor III

One more questions if you don't mind!

In the follow scenario... aren't clients on your internal network having to "go out" to get back in? Or could you set up the internal load balancer to handle requests internally, and the load balancer in the DMZ to handle external requests? So internal desktop users would go to https://internalLB.internaldomain.com/arcgis/content and external users would go to https://externalLB.externaldomain.com/arcgis/content - both of which would have rules at their respective load balancers to send requests to the same portal and server machines?

Trying to set something like this up so internal users remain internal in all of their traffic, and only external users are funneled through the DMZ load balancer. 

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
PayneRingling
New Contributor III

HI Jonathan, 

Quick follow-up... I was going through the ARR Documentation, and it looks great as it is load balancing at the application level and not the server level like Windows NLB does. It looks like ARR can run independent of NLB and doesn't require it to be enabled in IIS for ARR to work. So my question is.... couldn't I just use ARR on an IIS box in our DMZ as our Load Balancer and completely bypass the need for Windows NLB to be enabled?

Can't find much documentation anywhere related to ArcGIS Enterprise and the use of Windows Server for Load Balancing.  

0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor

I quickly looked at HTTP Load Balancing using Application Request Routing | Microsoft Docs and it looks like you wouldn't really need NLB. As long as you can set up health checks for the Portal and the X-Forwarded-Host header, ARR should work. I find NLB challenging to work with anyway.

0 Kudos
PayneRingling
New Contributor III

We've started looking at 3rd party software for load balancing. So that is introducing another level of complexity I will have to familiarize myself with. We are looking at KEMP. I have it balancing between two ArcGIS Server machines in the same site, unfortunately, it is only balancing a test web page I set up on both machines. I can't seem to access the ArcGIS Server directories, and documentation/troubleshooting/support is fairly limited. 

0 Kudos