Re-use raster symbology in ArcGIS Pro 2.1.2

Jump to solution
03-05-2018 12:45 AM
Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm trying to make myself use ArcGIS Pro but still get stuck at certain points where it's not working the way I expect it or as I was used from ArcMap...

I was happy that I could import a layer file that I created in ArcMap to use the same symbology for a raster that I used before. Now I changed the symbology in ArcGIS Pro and would  like to apply this one to three other rasters but I don't seem to find the right way to do it. 

I managed to create a colormap - but this only keeps the colors not the labels.

(Besides, I find the editing of the labels very slow - while I could just jump through the rows in ArcMap to adjust the labels for my symbology, it takes long to apply the added label for each row separately. Is there a faster way to do it than in the Symbology tab?)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can import symbology as well in Pro

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/layer-properties/import-symbology-from-another-layer.h...

but there are two warnings on that page.

The tool is the same in arcmap and in PRO

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/apply-symbology-from-layer.htm

The symbology layer comes from a layer file or a map layer. The Make Feature Layer tool or the Make Raster Layer tool can be used to create a temporary layer to which symbology will be applied. Layers can also be created by right-clicking the map layer and clicking Save As Layer File.

The file extension will be *.lyrx for pro if you want to save the symbology.  It is not backward compatible with ArcMap though

View solution in original post

6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You can import symbology as well in Pro

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/mapping/layer-properties/import-symbology-from-another-layer.h...

but there are two warnings on that page.

The tool is the same in arcmap and in PRO

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/apply-symbology-from-layer.htm

The symbology layer comes from a layer file or a map layer. The Make Feature Layer tool or the Make Raster Layer tool can be used to create a temporary layer to which symbology will be applied. Layers can also be created by right-clicking the map layer and clicking Save As Layer File.

The file extension will be *.lyrx for pro if you want to save the symbology.  It is not backward compatible with ArcMap though

Nicole_Ueberschär
Esri Regular Contributor

Just found it, thank you! I had looked for it only inside the symbology, but in case someone is looking for it: it's now under Sharing!

0 Kudos
CathyWilson2
Occasional Contributor

This seems to be how to import symbology to a Layer. I would like to import to a raster. I see how to save the Raster Function Template, but I don't know how to use it and it seems like overkill to just select the correct colors.

I have a Slope layer Classified with a Manual Interval with 11 classes using a pretty custom brown gradient. This was actually the default symbology when I made the slope raster and I like it. But I have another raster that I need to apply the same symbology to. I manually changed the first and the last colors, but the in-between colors are more gray. I CAN manually change each and every color, but there's got to be a built-in way to do this. Any help is appreciated!

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

I too was expecting to see the import button next to the symbology button in appearances how it is with a feature layer.  I have found a simpler way than above to achieve this for my raster layer.  I've just searched for the 'Apply Symbology From Layer' within Geoprocessing tools and its good to go.  Shame it doesn't have its own button for rasters though.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

the new approach I think is to get people to focus on the tools in arctoolbox, button shortcuts are a 'convenience' at best and they are the first thing to get changed/ moved or removed as versions go forward.  There has been very little reorganization of the tools in arctoolbox... lots of additions, but your 'knowledge base' of where things are is built upon as software versions go forward, rather than what usually happens when people rely on buttons and shortcuts.  It may not be what people what, but at least you know that there is a common thread going forward that they can fall back on when their favorite shortcut vanish (like between *map and *pro)

deleted-user-ZzrTmrSgNKBH
New Contributor

Just as an update to this post, the geoprocessing tool Apply Symbology from Layer will now do the trick (Pro v.2.5)

0 Kudos