ArcGIS Pro 2.1 Export to PDF Embedded Fonts

04-11-2018 07:41 AM
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

I've been experimenting with ArcGIS Pro, trying to make some maps that we currently use ArcMap to produce. It is very important for us to be able to embed fonts so that the pdf files display property.

I've noticed that the "embed fonts" seems to work the opposite of how it should; when the box is checked ArcGIS Pro is not embedding fonts. When I use Python, setting the embed fonts to TRUE also does not embed the fonts. When the box is not checked or I use FALSE then it seems that the fonts are embedded.

Is this a bug that needs to be fixed in ArcGIS Pro? Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,

Mark

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Can you provide a bit more detail about what font you're trying to embed?  You have the font installed on the machine where you're using Pro and generating the PDF, and not on the machine reading the PDF?

From Export a map or layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop Check Embed Fonts to include embeddable fonts in your exported document. Note that fonts with licensing that does not allow embedding will not be included in your export regardless of this setting.

Although, given your question, this doesn't seem applicable as it sounds like fonts are embedded when you uncheck the box, and not embedded when you do check the box, correct?

You indicated Pro 2.1.  Do you have the latest update installed (2.1.2)?

MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

I have ArcGIS Pro 2.1.0 installed. When I have the Embed Fonts not selected the symbols appear correctly:

When I have the Embed Fonts selected the symbols do not appear correctly:

And when I try to open the pdf file I get this error:

Fonts need to be embedded on our maps because they get posted to the web site and sometimes get printed for publications. 

Thanks, 

Mark

0 Kudos
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

After recruiting some help from someone who does not have any ArcGIS products installed it looks like both embedded and not embedded pdf files are showing the wrong symbols. I also opened the pdf files on my iPad and both are showing incorrectly. 

So, it looks like not embedding fonts is displaying correctly; with the pdf using the font installed on my computer. And it looks like embedding fonts is not working correctly. 

Thanks, 

Mark

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Thanks, Mark.  Can you zip up and email me the pdf and project package (ppkx)?  

Send to kkramer@esri.com.  If we need to set up a secure ftp site, let me know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
MarkBinder
Occasional Contributor

I'm creating a new map with similar symbology. The one I've been working on is too big to send. Before I do though I've done some more experimenting and it looks like the font that is not embedding is one that contains our department's official sybology. 

Could there be something with the font that would stop it from embedding?

Thanks, 

Mark

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I suppose there could be, I guess that is what we're trying to narrow down.  

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

I wanted to close the loop on this thread.  If a font is not being embedded in a PDF, it could be due to a licensing restriction on that font.  That is the case in both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro.  This is noted in the help here: From Export a map or layout—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop Check Embed Fonts to include embeddable fonts in your exported document. Note that fonts with licensing that does not allow embedding will not be included in your export regardless of this setting.

After further troubleshooting on this specific question, we found that what is actually missing is the Convert Marker Symbols to Polygons setting.  This is available in ArcMap and not in ArcGIS Pro.  There is an idea located at https://community.esri.com/ideas/14215‌ where you can upvote and provide comments.

Thank you.