How to migrate a Job type and Workflow made in Arcmap to Arcgis Pro?

Jump to solution
04-12-2018 12:44 AM
MinervaCenteno_Peña
New Contributor II

Hi!

I am trying to import/migrate a serial of job types associated with each workflow, from the Arcmap environment to the Workflow ArcGis Pro interface. I know that the extensions in both interfaces for this ítems are different.

Is there any way to do this?  Maybe throught code or geoprocessing?

Thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
XiaomengZheng
Esri Contributor

May I know what versions of Pro and Desktop are you using? It shouldn't be issues to access the database in desktop after your upgrade in Pro. What error did you see in Desktop?

I would check the following things:

1. When you upgrade the database in Pro, did you still choose Traditional user store or Portal user store? You can look up JTX_PROPERTIES table and check the value of "USER_STORE". If you switched to Portal user store while you ran the upgrade in Pro, you would get a prompt in Desktop to ask you to log into portal.

2. Do you use the same credential to connect to the database in Pro when you upgrade? Is it the same credential when you try to access it in Desktop?

The error that you see in Desktop would be very helpful for our troubleshoot. Theoretically, migration is not necessary when upgrade the database in Pro and it can always be connected in Desktop.

Thanks,

Meggie

View solution in original post

7 Replies
XiaomengZheng
Esri Contributor

Hello,

If I understand correctly, you are trying to use ArcGIS Pro as client to access your workflow manager database. This does not require any migration. ArcGIS Pro works the same way as Workflow Manager desktop. Your job type and workflow configuration that you create in Workflow Manager Administrator still can be accessed by connecting to the database in ArcGIS Pro.

Here is the help topic on how to add Workflow Manager connection in Pro. You can also explore for other topics for details on how to interact with Pro. 

Workflow connections—Workflow Manager | ArcGIS Desktop 

Thanks,

Meggie

0 Kudos
MinervaCenteno_Peña
New Contributor II

Hello Meggie,

Yes I know I can connect the database in Pro so I could access to the workflows. But as in Pro asks to "upgrade the database", so then I can't access again to it in Workflow desktop. So I must create two geodatabases. And the issue is to migrate the info with the workflows in one geodatabase, to the other geodatabase in Pro.

Is that possible ?

Thank you so much!

Minerva

0 Kudos
XiaomengZheng
Esri Contributor

May I know what versions of Pro and Desktop are you using? It shouldn't be issues to access the database in desktop after your upgrade in Pro. What error did you see in Desktop?

I would check the following things:

1. When you upgrade the database in Pro, did you still choose Traditional user store or Portal user store? You can look up JTX_PROPERTIES table and check the value of "USER_STORE". If you switched to Portal user store while you ran the upgrade in Pro, you would get a prompt in Desktop to ask you to log into portal.

2. Do you use the same credential to connect to the database in Pro when you upgrade? Is it the same credential when you try to access it in Desktop?

The error that you see in Desktop would be very helpful for our troubleshoot. Theoretically, migration is not necessary when upgrade the database in Pro and it can always be connected in Desktop.

Thanks,

Meggie

MinervaCenteno_Peña
New Contributor II

Thank you very much Meggie.

The problem was with the selection of "Portal user" instead of "Traditional user". That was why in Workflow Manager, when I tried to connect the database, it asked me for my Acrgis online credencials.

The last thing I have problems with, is with the Task Assistant:

I have a Task Assistant Workflow conected to this geodatabase. But when I open the Job associated with the map and the tasks in ArcGis Pro, it failed to import it. Do you know where can be the problem ?

Kind regards,

Minerva

0 Kudos
XiaomengZheng
Esri Contributor

Have you been able to access the upgraded database in Desktop yet? If no, you can simply run upgrade one more time and choose "Traditional user store". If you need to change to Portal user store, make sure you set the same portal (or ArcGIS online if this is the portal you connected when upgrade in Pro) as active portal in ArcGIS Administrator. That way when you access from Desktop, it will prompt you to log in.

For the Task Assistant issue, if you configured the task in Desktop, the task file cannot be opened in Pro. You will need to reconfigure it. The steps are:

1. Create the task in Pro. The task file you create in Pro has format as *.esritasks. Refer to the following help topic if you have any question on how to create task files in Pro.

Create a new task—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

2. As the following screenshot shown, export the task file into your workflow manager database.

3. Configure the task in the step of your workflow to be used in Pro.

Hope it help.

Thanks,

Meggie

MinervaCenteno_Peña
New Contributor II

Hi Meggie!

Yes, I was able to configure the workflow just doing what you said: upgrading the database as "Tradicional user". So now it works for both interfaces.

With the Task issue, I see then there isn't a way to "import" a task configured in Desktop to Pro, and the only way is to making them from the beggining... Well, that's a pitty. 

Thank you so much for everything !

I really apreciate your dedication and patience.

Best wishes,

Minerva

0 Kudos
XiaomengZheng
Esri Contributor

Hi, Minera,

I confirmed with the Task Assistant team that the only way to use the task file in Pro is to recreate it. Right now there is no good way to migrate it from Desktop. 

I hope the link that I provided help. Feel free to reach us or Task team if you have any questions.

Thanks,

Meggie