Tabulate Area 2: Results Seem Off

Jump to solution
04-14-2018 02:32 PM
GabyRuso
New Contributor

Hi all.  I'm using the Tabulate Area 2 tool to determine the area of land use types within buffers (1km) around many points at the center of wetlands.  I think I've finally gotten the output I want, but there's a few things in the output that make me question it.  

I have a raster land use file (30m resolution) that I downloaded from the internet that is in the projected (I think?) coordinate system: WGS_1984_Lambert_Azimuthal_Equal_Area.  I also have a polygon shapefile of the wetlands, that I made.  I projected this to the same coordinate system as the land use file.  I then made a centroid point layer for the wetlands layer because I wanted the 1km buffers to be the same size because buffers around the wetlands were not equal size/shape.  After this, I used the Tabulate Area and Zonal Histogram tools to try to determine either the area or number of pixels of land use types from the raster layer in each of the wetland point buffers.  These methods either provided outputs with missing data (i.e., not all of the buffers were accounted for) or very unequal numbers of total pixels for each buffer, respectively.  So, after reading several other posts, I tried the Tabulate Area 2 tool, thinking that my problem may have been due to so many overlapping buffers.  This, and using the "Object ID" as the zone field rather than my own identification code which I'm thinking might have been too long for the tool to detect them as being dissimilar, may have solved my problem.  (Many buffers were identified as things like "Colonsay 0.28km a" and "Colonsay 0.28km b" and are only different at the very last letter.  I'm wondering if that was too many 'digits'?)

So, in the output from the Tabulate Area 2 process all of the buffers are accounted and it looks mostly good.  I have a few concerns though that I'm not sure how to reconcile. 

1)  On the first use of this tool, I got some values of "<null>" but I tried it again and on the second use those values were 0.  I'm not concerned about them being 0 as that pixel type was uncommon across the landscape, but I'm somewhat concerned about the null values, even if I didn't get that every time I used the tool. 

2) When I sum the total area calculated for each buffer (a circle with 1km radius) it varies per buffer and doesn't equal the size of the buffer.  i.e., the buffers are all 3141593 square meters, but the total areas as calculated by the Tabulate Area 2 tool range from 3132900 to 3153600 square meters.  

I'm not sure if the discrepancies between the actual area of the buffers and the sum area calculated by the Tabulate Area 2 tool are due to the tool including or excluding pixels that lie on the edge of the buffer circle, and thus are not necessarily important to worry about, or if this is a sign that the output is not correct and I've done something wrong along the way.  

Thanks for any help!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Shapefile is the operative word... circles aren't really circles in shapefiles, they are 'n-gons' ... n sided polygons.  Your areas are 'close' to those of a circle of the specified diameter, but they will not be exact.  Don't worry about it

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

This toolset? https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=3528bd72847c439f88190a137a1d0e67

There are a lot of unanswered issues posted there.

Perhaps a picture would help with your description.

As for the projection, and using projected data... make sure, since your results will be suspect otherwise since I suspect that no projection on the fly is carried out.

GabyRuso
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  I went back and double checked my land use layer's readme file and it is in a projected coordinate system, so that should be okay.  I also used the Tabulate Area tool (not Tabulate Area 2) for each individual buffer and compared the results to what I got when I used Tabulate Area 2 on all the buffers at once, and the results are identical.  So, I feel like the results are 'good', I'm just not sure why the total area calculated for each buffer polygon is not quite equal to the actual size of the polygons?  Is this just the nature of working with raster data or if I should be worried about the results?

Here is a screenshot of what this looks like.  Shown are the points for the wetlands, the polygon 1km buffers for each point (one is highlighted), and the raster land use file.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Shapefile is the operative word... circles aren't really circles in shapefiles, they are 'n-gons' ... n sided polygons.  Your areas are 'close' to those of a circle of the specified diameter, but they will not be exact.  Don't worry about it

GabyRuso
New Contributor

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos