Locate not working

Jump to solution
04-13-2018 05:56 AM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I'm trying to use the 'Locate' to find attributes in a feature class.  I've used the Locate before, and have all the setting set properly.  It just isn't working anymore.

It's clearly in my attribute table:

And I have the Locate settings set properly:

Thanks,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

My guess is that this is an index issue if it can find some records, but not others.  To create an index you will need to connect to the database (GISWRKS1) as the data owner (WORKS).  You can then right-click on the feature class in the Catalog window > Properties > Indexes > Add.  Choose a name for the index, and then select the field (LATERAL_NUMBER) to build the index for.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Brian,

1.  Try moving the layer to the top of the list within the Locate pane:

2.  Try setting the search mode to 'Contains'

3.  Make sure the field has an attribute index built.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Are you trying to locate using a polyline feature class?  If so, could it be that you have zoomed into the feature but the Locate tool offsets the found location with the A identifier at some default distance?

I have used the Locate with both a polygon and a polyline feature.  For the polygon feature the Locate tool zooms to the polygon centroid, but with the polyline feature the Locate tools zooms to some offset distance from the selected feature.  I do not currently know how to configure this offset distance.

On further inspection, I'm wondering if true (Bezier) curves cause an offset of the polyline identifier as it seems that polylines that are straight segments show the identifier on the line but curves can show the identifier at varying distances from the polyline (maybe a function of the angle that the arc is created from).

0 Kudos
BradNiemand
Esri Regular Contributor

In addition to what Jake mentions above also make sure that the find provider is enabled in the settings of the Locate Pane.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi,

I have been using ArcPro for quite some time, and have used the Locate tool on many occasions.  In response to Jake:

1. The layer I am searching is at the top of the list (see image below)
  2. I only have the option of 'Equals' (see image below)
  3. How do I build an index??  This is a layer that sits on SDE.  I am not an admin of SDE...just an end-user.  This is a large table.  If I open the attribute table it will find records close to the top of what is displayed, but if I scroll down far enough to where it displays "Scanning", it won't find any of those records.

And to Brad:  yes, the layer is enabled in the Locate pane.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

My guess is that this is an index issue if it can find some records, but not others.  To create an index you will need to connect to the database (GISWRKS1) as the data owner (WORKS).  You can then right-click on the feature class in the Catalog window > Properties > Indexes > Add.  Choose a name for the index, and then select the field (LATERAL_NUMBER) to build the index for.

BrianBulla

I see.  I will ask our IT department to put an index on that field.  The table is 'Locked' when I try to do it.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

What version of Pro are you using?  At 2.1.2 you have both Equals and Contains as options for searching.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

I am at 2.1.2.  It is a numeric field, so that is probably why Contains is not listed.  String fields have it.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Jake Skinner‌,

The Index was put on the feature class but the Locate is still not finding features.  If I scroll down the attribute table till it says 'Scanning', then do a 'Locate' for the indexed attribute, the value is still not found.

Any other ideas??

0 Kudos