Optimal Computer Hardware Specs

04-02-2018 12:14 PM
MitchMarkey1
New Contributor II

Hey all,

I've been finding that although my desktop meets the minimum requirements, it goes unresponsive when performing fairly basic functions in the spatial analysis toolbox.

We have funds in my organization to purchase a new desktop. Can any of you recommend specific CPUs to look for that will optimize my ArcGIS experience?

2 Replies
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, targeting the minimum requirements isn't going to be anything like the experience of the other children on the playground.  They're going to be on swings and zip lines over soft foam mulch, and you're going to be on that one late-60's spaceship with the rusted handholds, over cracked concrete with glass and rusty needles.

There are too many potential configurations to go into details of what can work, but at this point you should be looking at 16-32Gb RAM machines, with 3.4+ghz multi-core (4-8) processors, a solid state disk with at least 500Gb of storage, and another SSD or a fast 2+Tb hard disk drive (HDD) in the second slot. While not strictly necessary, a moderate gaming class graphics card (4-8Gb RAM) will make your life much easier if you try to drift into 3D presentation.  Multiple monitors (HD+HD or HD+SD) are recommended for any kind of development environment.

Welcome to the productive end of the playground.

- V

MitchMarkey1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Vince. That certainly helps.

0 Kudos