Loss of line profile tool in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
08-20-2015 02:56 PM
IanPierce
New Contributor II

I am struggling to figure out how to create elevation profiles from lines that I draw in ArcPro like I was previously able to with the 3D analyst toolbar, any ideas?

Stack profile is not really what I am looking for at it is slower and does not display graphs in pro.

Thanks.

19 Replies
IanPierce
New Contributor II

Hi dflater-esristaff
It appears the new profile tool only uses ESRI's stock elevation datasets. I really need to make profiles using our proprietary lidar raster datasets. As I said above this functionality was easy in ArcMap with 3d analyst, but still seems lacking in arc pro. Any insight? Thanks. 

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor
DanielAragon1
New Contributor II

AGREED, I'm running 2.0 and can't seem to get a profile working... 

MichaelAugust
Occasional Contributor III

Is this still not available at 2.7? Seems so simple - draw a line on a DEM, look at elevation profile.

AndyMills
New Contributor

Agree that this is a critical tool and that we cannot migrate fully to Pro until the tool is in place. It is vital for visualising subtle topography as part of mapping workflows. It's been six years since this tool was mooted for a later release and it is still not available.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello all-  You can find this functionality in Pro since 2.7 on the Elevation Profile Exploratory Analysis tool.    https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/exploratory-analysis/interactive-elevation-pro...

It'll pull elevation heights from the elevation sources in the scene.   

We also recently have this functionality online in Scene Viewer-  https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/3d-gis/whats-newscene-viewer-april-2021/

Hopefully helpful?  If there was another specific functionality you're looking for, please let me know.  Thanks! 
Phil

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust

I think what everyone misses is the ability to easily do multiple lines and visualize a stretch of road for example, a slope that abuts the road, quickly and from many angles. The current tool, while certainly exhibiting the same functionality, does not operate with the ease of the former 3D profiles tool when trying to look at a particular landform from various profile lines.  You have to export one by one to see the profile.

We have scientists who, in ArcMap move along a river for example generating profile after profile moving downstream, just to get a "feel" for the topography, this is really slow now in Pro compared to the old school 3D Analyst tool. Maybe there is a way you guys could allow them to stack in the profile window somehow? Hopefully this is clear, maybe someone else missing the old way could chime in too.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback @MichaelAugust.  We'll bring it up, make a comparison, and determine a course of action on this. 

0 Kudos
MichaelAugust
Great - thanks!
0 Kudos
Simonez
New Contributor III

Not sure this topic can be marked as "solved". Terribly missing something like the old school 3D-analyst profile tool. Any news? It seems that till 2015 this feature is still missing. I've also look for the "interactive elevation profile" but I can't find this tool.

0 Kudos