ArcGIS Online layers on a non Web Mercator map

05-23-2013 08:53 AM
ab1
by
Occasional Contributor II
Hi,

I have a map with a coordinates system different from the Web Mercator. I want to use ArcGIS Online layers on that map. Is there a way to do so?

Thanks.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
yo_haha,

Sure you can load the layer to the map as  ArcGISDynamicMapServiceLayer instead of ArcGISTiledMapServiceLayer. You will take a performance hit but that is what happen when you want to use a basemap in a different projection then it was created in.
0 Kudos
ab1
by
Thanks Robert 🙂

I tryed using ArcGISDynamicLayer but the delay to display the layer was inacceptable at all!!
Is there a way to improve that delay?

I was thinking about saving the cache of the ArcGIS Online layer and then reproject the cache. Is that possible?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
yo_haha,

The best route for using esri web mercator basemaps is to create a child replica geodatbase of your data in webmercator that way all your data is in web mercator. There is white papers on "creating a child replica in a different coordinate system" that you can search for on esris support site. I am unaware of anyway to reprojecting esris basemap caches.
0 Kudos
ab1
by
Reprojecting my database is not possible because I do many spatial calculation on the web client side. Those calculations are not precise when done in Web Mercator.
I guess I will have to find another basemap 😕

Thanks Robert.
0 Kudos