Stonex S5 GPS receiver support for Collector (iOS)?

Jump to solution
03-20-2018 11:07 AM
AdamInglis1
Occasional Contributor

Does anyone have any experience using the Stonex S5 with Collector (iOS)?  It is not currently listed as a supported receiver, but I'm wondering if it will still work.

Thanks, 

Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Adam -- While it does appear that the device is supported on iOS in general, it is not yet supported for Collector. To be supported on iOS, we have to whitelist a device. At this time, I don’t know of plans for adding support as it is not a device that we have and test with.

Esri Education Team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Kylie
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Adam -- While it does appear that the device is supported on iOS in general, it is not yet supported for Collector. To be supported on iOS, we have to whitelist a device. At this time, I don’t know of plans for adding support as it is not a device that we have and test with.

Esri Education Team
0 Kudos
AdamInglis1
Occasional Contributor

Just checking to see if there is an update this year on the Stonex S5 being supported in Collector.  We are looking at purchasing a bunch of new units this year and I want to make sure we explore all our options.

Cheers, 

Adam

0 Kudos
BertKraan1
Occasional Contributor III

The S5 is end-of-life Adam, you might want to buy a S500

0 Kudos
BertKraan1

Same question here but for the Stonex S500 gnss receiver which is the replacement of the S5. Will this device be tested in the forseeable future?

0 Kudos
AdamInglis1
Occasional Contributor

We just got a Stonex S500 and were successful in connecting the unit via WiFi to an iPad and setting the location provider in Survey123 to receive the data.  I don't think we have had any success with Collector yet, but this testing is being done in another office so I'm a bit out of the loop on that.  

From my understanding to get a Bluetooth connection ESRI write some code into the mobile apps.  We are pushing our distributor to submit a unit to ESRI to get this done as connecting over Bluetooth vs. WiFi should help reduce power consumption on both devices. 

BertKraan1

Hello Adam,

Can we get in touch? I try to achieve collector & S500 connectivity as well and would like to exchange experiences. Perhaps we can join effort to convince both our distributor AND Esri to have the S500 whitelisted 🙂

b.kraan@kdhl.nl

0 Kudos
AdamInglis1
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bert, 

We are just now getting the demo S500 unit we have out in the field to collect data with Survey123.  We are also testing the EOS Arrow 100 which works with both Collector & Survey123.  I'm looking for a unit to replace the Trimble R1 units we have that for some weird reason will not work with Survey123 on iOS.

0 Kudos
EricGakstatter
New Contributor II

iOS is complicated. This isn't an Esri issue (well, at least not initially). The receiver has to support "Apple" Bluetooth. 

Connecting via Wifi isn't a production deployment type of solution, in my opinion. I'm not sure GNSS metadata even gets passed with this connection. 

0 Kudos
BertKraan1

As fas as I understand from my supplier Apple has to whitelist/certify the Stonex to allow bluetooth communication, a matter of money rather than technical. I agree with Eric that wifi isn't a viable deployment, for us collector is a key application.

There seems to be a nmea to iOS communication dongle which might be an (ugly) solution: dongle but that will be defenitely my last option to go. It might work for Adam Inglis as he already has purchased the stonex.

Currently looking at Eos Arrow https://eos-gnss.com/comparison-chart series, they seem to be an Esri partner and have their iOS-bluetooth sorted out.