ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro on single EVA student license

Jump to solution
03-16-2018 12:43 PM
JacobSteiner
New Contributor II

Hi. I've been working with a very large dataset and it was recommended I try switching to Pro from ArcMap because of its support for 64-bit computations.

I have an authorization code starting with EVA from the back page of the Getting to Know ArcGIS book. When I created my arcgis.com student account and entered the code to access the download page, I was presented with the option to download both ArcMap 10.6 and ArcGIS Pro 2.1. Originally, I only installed ArcMap. Now I've downloaded and installed Pro and I'm trying to authorize it with the same code.

I select the "Single Use License" as the License Type, and click Authorize, choose "I have installed my software and need to authorize it" as the Authorization Option and "Authorize with Esri now using the Internet" as the Method. After completing my personal details, entering my same authorization number, and selecting "I do not want to authorize any extensions at this time", the wizard connects. I receive this message:

Authorization denies because request would have exceeded max copies for the following authorization number(s): (EVA---------)

This isn't really altogether unexpected, as I did use this number to install ArcMap. Am I be able to switch from my ArcMap installation being authorized to authorizing Pro? What's the process for this?

NOTE: I have tried Deauthorizing the original ArcMap install, to release the license back into the wild, but I still receive the same error message... and I'm unable to reauthorize ArcMap, which presents the same error .

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JacobSteiner
New Contributor II

The answer here is somewhat speculative. It seems that all Authorization codes (at least those that are not past their validity) can be used to authorize a trial account for ArcGIS Pro for 180 days. This is significantly longer than the 21 day trial available without an authorization number. In order to get your 180 day trial for ArcGIS Pro, go to the Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro (first edition), book resources trial download page. Even if your EVA code came from a different book, you can sign up on the page for the trial. As Dan previously stated, you'll end up creating an organizational account for your own AGOL instance and you need to assign yourself an ArcGIS Pro license.

You can also use your EVA to go through the process for [installing and] licensing ArcMap and wind up with both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro installed. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

you register/request Pro through your organization even if that organization is you.  Have you check your agol setup account?

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/activate-subscription.htm for agol

http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/licensing-arcgis-pro.htm to activate license

0 Kudos
JacobSteiner
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan. I'm not sure if I'm on the same page.

In ArcMap, student EVA licenses were, I think, treated much like single use licenses. With ArcGIS Pro, when you open it, you are presented with a screen to sign in (if you are not already logged in), but at the bottom of that screen is a "Configure your licensing options" link. You can follow that link, and, as described in the initial post, try to Authorize, using the student license (as you would with ArcMap). I think this approach is supported by your second link on licensing in the single use section where it states (note the two emphasized sentences):

A Single Use license authorizes one person to use ArcGIS Desktop, optionally including ArcGIS Pro, on one machine, such as a desktop computer. The license also authorizes the same person to use ArcGIS Desktop on a second machine, such as a laptop computer. However, the software may not be used on both machines at the same time.

A Single Use license can be transferred to a different machine used by a different individual by deauthorizing the license on the currently authorized machine and repeating the authorization process on the new machine.

It is not necessary to sign in to use ArcGIS Pro with a Single Use license. However, it is necessary to sign in with ArcGIS account credentials to access content from ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise.

If you are not signing in with an ArcGIS account to use Pro with a Single Use license, then you would not have an associated AGOL organization, account, portal, or administrator for allotting licenses.

I'm thinking this is an issue with the licensing server, especially since I'm unable to reauthorize ArcMap (and the license should definitely still be valid).

0 Kudos
JacobSteiner
New Contributor II

The answer here is somewhat speculative. It seems that all Authorization codes (at least those that are not past their validity) can be used to authorize a trial account for ArcGIS Pro for 180 days. This is significantly longer than the 21 day trial available without an authorization number. In order to get your 180 day trial for ArcGIS Pro, go to the Getting to Know ArcGIS Pro (first edition), book resources trial download page. Even if your EVA code came from a different book, you can sign up on the page for the trial. As Dan previously stated, you'll end up creating an organizational account for your own AGOL instance and you need to assign yourself an ArcGIS Pro license.

You can also use your EVA to go through the process for [installing and] licensing ArcMap and wind up with both ArcMap and ArcGIS Pro installed.