Geocoding help

02-16-2018 01:05 PM
BrianBulla
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

Just looking for some clarification on how geocoding works in Pro.  I have created a Geocoder based on a point layer of address points.  It seems to be working as desired when I type addresses into the 'Locate' window.  But when I use the same locator in the Geocode Addresses Geoprocessing tool, the exact same address that I type in the Locate window comes up as 'U' - unmatched.

All of my settings in the Geocoder are set to default.  All I did was specify which fields to use for Number, Road Type, etc.

Also, the list of addresses I am geocoding is actually the table of addresses that make up the point layer the geocoder is based on.  So I would think I would get a 100% match rate, but I am not.

Any advice on how to tweak my geocoder is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian:

Are you able to share a screenshot of the table you used as input in the Geocode Addresses tool or the address locator?

If the table contains the 'Shape' field it should be removed from the table. The street address (380 new york street) should also be in a single field and city, state, zip in their own respective fields or the full address (380 new york st, redlands, ca) in a single field in the table. 

-Shana

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I haven't yet worked in pro; just wondering if the default settings in it include MATCH WITHOUT ZONE = FALSE like in ArcGIS desktop 10.5.1.  

Brian Bulla, does your data include city, zip and state?

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
BrianBulla

No.  I am using a single field with the street address and the city name.  It is a custom geocoder based on address points that are local to us.  I would expect to get a 100% match since the addresses I am trying to geocode are exactly the same as those the geocoder is based on.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe, The Match without zone property is the same for Pro. The US Address and General styles are essentially the same in Pro as in ArcMap. There may be times where the Pro version of the style template might be more current than the style included with ArcMap because of the development and release cycle of Pro.

BrianBulla

Hi Shana,

The table is just a table (.xls to be exact), so there is no 'Shape' field.  The screenshot below shows you my settings for the Geocoder. 

After tweaking the settings I was able to get a much better match score, but there were always a few that would never match.  I have circled one of the addresses that would never match.  As you can see in the next screenshot, the address that won't geocode through the 'Geocode Addresses' tool can be found when using the 'Locate', both using the same geocoder.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian,

It would be more helpful if you could provide the locator you created or a screen shot of the Durham locator properties Reference data tables page like the one below and the 'About the locator' page from the properties. You could create a locator package if you wanted to share it here or send it to me in private message.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Shana,

Sorry for the delayed response.  This is my first day back in the office since attending the Dev Summit.  I have attached the locator.

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Brian,

For the address that is circled in the screenshot is the street type in the field "CL" or "ci"? I think the value is an uppercase "i" versus a lowercase "L" , which is shown in the locate pane. I created a table with the address in question and found that "jaywin ci" doesn't match in either the table when batch geocoding or in the Locate pane.

0 Kudos
BrianBulla

Hi Shana,

It is a lowercase 'L' (l).  Here are a couple more screenshots to show you what is happening.

The labelled point layer of addresses is the layer I created the Geocoder from.  As you can see "1625 Jaywin Circle" is a valid address as it exists in the point layer, but when I type it in the Locate toolbar, it does not get a match with my custom Geocoder.

But....when I type the address in as "1625 Jaywin Cl" it does get a match.  A few times a year I geocode addresses that get typed into a database, so I need a geocoder that gets as many matches as possible to avoid too much manual coding of points.  I just don't understand how the coder is not matching addresses like this, that seem to be typed in properly.

Here are some of the settings from the Geocoder.  From the fields I use I should be getting a match regardless of using 'Circle' or 'Cl', since I have both those fields defined.

And here are the attributes for this particular address, from the point file the Geocoder references:

I'm a bit confused as to why it doesn't work.  This Geocoder is definitely working better than anything I ever tried in ArcMap, but still in ArcPro I would like it to work even better still.

Thanks.  If you have any other ideas, please let me know.

0 Kudos