ArcGIS Pro "Fake" Python Installation

03-14-2018 11:25 AM
PatrickMcKinney1
Occasional Contributor III

I'm still using ArcGIS Desktop and Python 2.7.  But I know ArcGIS Pro is the future, so I installed it.  So I thought I would start using Python 3.  However, it looks like the Python installation with ArcGIS Pro is a "masked" install.  Whereas Desktop gives you a more "real" Python install.

This is becoming an issue because I can't figure out how to set-up my code editors (PyScripter or Visual Code) to use Python 3.x  I also don't have admin privileges to my computer, and have to submit an IT work order to get temp admin privileges.

Is there an easy way to use the Python 3 install with ArcGIS Pro like I currently use Python 2? Or do I need to just install Python natively?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It is a real installation of python with all the bells and whistles and more.  Setting up your IDE to work with it may be a bit of a challenge, but I have a couple of blog posts on using Spyder as the IDE.  It, and Jupyter QT console and Jupyter notebook are shipped and can all be installed.

You need to keep legacy 2.7 separate from 3.6.* that is why they use an Anaconda distribution, so that all play well together.  A separate installation of python 3, just isn't going to cut it either.  Sorry to hear that you don't have admin rights., but if you are a single user on your machine, I recommend installing the root of C:\  (ie C:\ArcGISPro ) so it doesn't get buried in the windows path fluff.

JoshuaBixby
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I agree, it is a full-blown Python installation.  With ArcGIS Desktop, Esri defaulted to installing it on its own, e.g., C:\Python27\....  For ArcGIS Pro, it is installed under the ArcGIS Pro folder, e.g., C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\Python....  Thus far, I have had no problem pointing PyCharm to the Python interpreter packaged with Pro, and I don't have or need Admin access to do it.

0 Kudos
GhislainPrince
Esri Contributor

Dan & Joshua's answers are good. 

i would add that last time we looked at PyScripter it had no support for virtual environments, if that's still the case then it is (still) unusable with ArcGIS Pro.  We did a pretty big write-up on IDEs when we moved to Conda at 1.3: Python and ArcGIS Pro 1.3 : Conda 

0 Kudos
PatrickMcKinney1
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for all the helpful resources. It looks like I need to get a new IDE to work with Python 3.  Trying to get familiar with what's new in Python 3, and simply prefer an IDE to the command prompt.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Spyder.. it is builtin to the distribution, as is the Jupyter's... check my links