Is it possible to install ArcGIS desktop in the cloud?

11-16-2016 02:36 PM
AnnVanSlembrouck
Occasional Contributor

We plan to have a workstation for each staff person in the cloud.

Has anyone done this?

Are there licensing issues I need to be aware of?

Thank You for any insight.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
33 Replies
JakeShapley
New Contributor III

Absolutely, it's possible. Preferable, even, when you are running and administering ArcGIS Server instances in the cloud and need to allow for users to edit data via Desktop; especially, where a lost connection could disrupt an editing session. We've been using Amazon Web Services to host almost all of our server infrastructure for nearly 2 years. We are running ArcGIS Server Enterprise on Linux, backed with a PostgreSQL database server, also Linux. All our data in SDE is versioned and archive-enabled (for SDE and runtime mobile replication). Our cartographers do all their editing via Desktop, installed on Windows Server 2016 instances in the same AWS cloud environment. We also maintain all the MXDs and services on these boxes. Everyone accesses these Desktop boxes via RDP. Even better, if done correctly, it's very secure. I won't get into the details on security here, but I can say that our environment has passed multiple rigorous design reviews and external audits.

0 Kudos
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jake,

How do you configure the instances that host ArcGIS Desktop to avoid the license becoming "untrusted"? Are you using concurrent licensing?

0 Kudos
JakeShapley
New Contributor III

Hi Jonathan,

We've never run into an issue with the license becoming "untrusted." We have concurrent licenses, currently managing them on each instance independently with their own license managers. We do have plans to just point to a shared, central license manager, but it hasn't been enough of an inconvenience to push it up to the top of the priority list yet.

0 Kudos
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Jake,

If you have a license manager on each instance, then I believe that you would encounter the license manager becoming "untrusted" were you running these on Azure instances (others please correct me if I'm wrong on this). So, I'm wondering if there are differences in the configurations of AWS and Azure instances that cause the problem to occur on Azure but not on AWS.

0 Kudos