Basic 3D SceneView Fails to Load with v4.5+

03-13-2018 01:44 PM
FredSpataro
Occasional Contributor III

Hi All, 

Odd issue found today. So far it's isolated to only one specific computer of the 10 or so I've tried to reproduce on, but happens every time on this one machine. 

I upgraded a SceneView app from v4.3 to v4.6 and this one machine can't load the globe anymore. I narrowed it down to the change at v4.5.  It works in v4.4 but doesn't with v4.5 or 4.6.  It does seem to work in Firefox but not Chrome or Edge.  I removed all the custom code back to the bare bones 3D example from the API samples: Intro to SceneView - Create a 3D map - 4.6  to verify it wasn't something in my javascript/html/css/etc. So for discussion, this basic example fails.  

Other details:

* no error messages in the JavaScript console

* no network request failures. 

* Watching the console compared to a working version shows that all the Javascript is downloaded but then stops before requesting any tiles/data. 

* as far as I can tell, the machine meets all the 3D, webgl specs.  

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Maybe this thread will help? https://community.esri.com/thread/178452 

0 Kudos
FredSpataro

Thanks Kelly, 

But no dice... we found those suggestions before I posted the thread, sorry I didn't mention that.  I won't worry too much at this point since it only seems to happen on one machine but it doesn't give me the warm-fuzzy feeling for deploying 4.x and 3D for general applications.

0 Kudos
RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

Late to the party. Is this still an issue? If so, can you try with 4.7? And if it still doesn't work can you tell us what os are you using + version, which browser version? Maybe we can reproduce if we happen to have the same machine config.

0 Kudos
FredSpataro

Hi Raluca, 

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't checked what happens with 4.7 yet.  I just sent along an email to my associate with the issue.  I'll report back as soon as I hear from her.   It was narrowed to Chrome and Edge (latest version at the time) on a Windows 10 laptop. More soon.

Fred

RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

ok, let me know more, that looks like we should be able to repro, but we haven't seen this behaviour so far.

0 Kudos
FredSpataro

Hi Raluca:

I copied the basic 3D sample (url above) to my web server 4 times and changed out the API version from 4.4 thru 4.7.  Here's the results on the bad machine:

3dissue/index44.html WORKS

3dissue/index45.html WHITE SCREEN, ONLY TOP LEFT BUTTONS SHOW

3dissue/index46.html WHITE SCREEN, ONLY TOP LEFT BUTTONS SHOW

3dissue/index47.html WHITE SCREEN, ONLY TOP LEFT BUTTONS SHOW

0 Kudos
RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

hmm I can't reproduce...can you open this link and send me a screenshot of the page? WebGL Report

In case you don't want to post your setup here, feel free to send it to my email: rnicola@esri.com

0 Kudos
RalucaNicola1
Esri Contributor

The webGL report for your machine contains Major Performance Caveat set to true and it uses Software rendering: Unmasked renderer -> Google Swiftshader.

It might be a problem with Chrome blacklisting your GPU. A possible solution could be to update the GPU driver on that machine.

In general there might be certain GPUs that are blacklisted by browsers and when the user is exactly on such a machine the only thing you can do is to give him a warning message. In the API we catch this case and we don't create the view. I guess the safe thing to do is to catch when the view fails to create and send an error message to the user that they could try to update their driver.

Practically in code you can do this:

view.when(function() {
   // View successfully loaded, show viewDiv
 }).catch(function(err) {
   console.log(err);
   // { message: "WebGL is required but not supported.", ...}
 });

Here is the whole sample where we show app developers how to catch these cases:

ArcGIS API for JavaScript Sandbox 

Hope that helps.

0 Kudos
MikeHines
New Contributor II

Hi, This worked after all else failed -- type: 

chrome://flags/#ignore-gpu-blacklist

into the chrome address bar, then follow instructions. (enable)

Boosh, So that's what 3D maps look like. Nice!

0 Kudos