Find Tool (ArcMap 10.3.1)

02-27-2018 06:56 AM
DjalilDahhaoui
New Contributor II

Is there an option to set a default directory for the Find Tool?

I have an address locator stored on a shared network and would like other ArcMap users to be able to open the Find Tool and be connected to this address locator.

Thanks,

3 Replies
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

There is a default set of locators that get loaded when you launch ArcMap. These default locators are stored in the DefaultLocators.xml file, where there is a system version and a user specific version. You could add your locator on the network to the list of default locators in the DefaultLocators.xml file, then deploy this file to the end user machines and add it to their system or user location. Once added each time you launch ArcMap the new default locator will be loaded and available for your users in the Find Tool. This also applies to ArcReader and it is recommended that you do not store your address locators in any geodatabase format (file, personal, sde). For more details see this help topic, Setting default locators in ArcMap—Help | ArcGIS Desktop .

DanielGrim
New Contributor

Tried editing out all the default locators in the respective XML files. Still fails to zoom to my selected search in the find tool and locks up my ArcDesktop.
In the Help(setting default locators in ArcMap) there is reference to:

If you do not want to display any system default locators in ArcMap for the current user account, change the append_system_locators attribute for the <default_locators> tag from "true" to "false".

If the append_system_locators attribute is set to "false", as in the following example, the system default locators do not appear in ArcMap.

<default_locators append_system_locators="false"

Where is this attribute so it can be changed to false??

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Daniel:

This attribute is found in the default_locators tag in the DefaultLocators.xml file found in the user profile directory as described in the Editing user default locators section of the Setting default locators in ArcMap help topic. Modifying which locators are available by default for a specific user account that starts Arcmap means you must modify the DefaultLocators.xml located in C:\users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\Esri\Desktop10.x\Locators.  

0 Kudos