Batch Processing IDW using iterator

Jump to solution
03-07-2018 10:18 AM
JustinBridwell
New Contributor II

Hey All,

I am trying to run a folder or point features (shapefiles) through and iterator in model builder so that I can batch process them. If I run them individually, I have no problems. But using the iterator, the process fails every time after about 3 iterations. The specific error that I get is "ERROR 010092: Invalid output extent. Failed to execute (IDW)," which occurs on the fourth iteration. 

I am using a simple parameter scheme without adding an input barrier feature. My thought was to clip it to a field boundary later, so I just left the barrier parameter blank.

And here is the model. What could I be doing wrong here? I don't see any obvious 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JustinBridwell
New Contributor II

For the edification of anyone wanting to know the answer to this question, the answer is rather simple as I soon discovered. IDW, in this case, requires both an extent and mask in order to "clip" the interpolated raster. Although you cannot see it I basically used my field boundary (polygon) to do this. In the model, I connected the field boundary polygon to the IDW twice; once as an Environment>Mask and again as Environment>Extent. Once this was accomplished, the error was resolved. It should be noted that if the input point feature or boundary feature were to theoretically have null/empty values, a similar error would be thrown. Hope this explains the problem and solution better.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
JustinBridwell
New Contributor II

For the edification of anyone wanting to know the answer to this question, the answer is rather simple as I soon discovered. IDW, in this case, requires both an extent and mask in order to "clip" the interpolated raster. Although you cannot see it I basically used my field boundary (polygon) to do this. In the model, I connected the field boundary polygon to the IDW twice; once as an Environment>Mask and again as Environment>Extent. Once this was accomplished, the error was resolved. It should be noted that if the input point feature or boundary feature were to theoretically have null/empty values, a similar error would be thrown. Hope this explains the problem and solution better.

0 Kudos