How to generate map image with Portal Arcgis newPrint tool?

02-22-2018 05:34 AM
CarlosNantes
New Contributor III

Hello guys,

I'm struggling with an issue I've encontered after publishing an ortophoto in our Arcgis Server. We don't have Image server extension so I had to publish it as a Mapserver. The mxd is full of references to geotiffs (1800 aproximately). I'm supposing this is the root of the problem.

I have generated the cache for this mapserver and I can view it using Map Viewer of Portal Arcgis. But I can't generate an image of it using the default Arcgis PrintingTools (https://webadaptor.domain/rest/services/Utilities/PrintingTools/GPServer/Export%20Web%20Map%20Task).

I have found that if I let the printing tools link blank in my Portal Arcgis Settings, the Print widget of Map Viewer will use another printing tool located at:
https://webadaptor.domain/sharing/tools/newPrint/GPServer/Export%20Web%20Map

(See attached image)

That misterious tool will generate the image correctly, but I can't find it in the docs, so that I learn how to use it.

The PrintingTools of my Arcgis Server won't generate the image and will give the following error response:

{  
   "error":{  
      "code":400,
      "message":"Unable to complete operation.",
      "details":[  
         "Error executing tool. Export Web Map Task Job ID: [jobidhere] : ERROR 999999: Error executing function.
       Not enough memory to create requested bitmap.
       Failed to execute (Export Web Map).
       Failed to execute (Export Web Map Task)."
      ]
   }
}

I've seen some public Arcgis Servers using that newPrint tool as a GPServer. Does anybody have some info about it?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
CarlosNantes
New Contributor III

I've realized that the images should be grouped into a single one in a raster dataset before publishing it as a server.

At least the problem is registered now, if anynone has the same issue. To solve that I did the following:

- I've created a Raster dataset in a FileGeodatabase.

- Then I loaded those 1800 tiffs inside the raster dataset. 

- I registered the parent folder of the filegeodatabase as a data store in arcgis server.

- Replaced all 1800 references in the mxd to a single one, the raster dataset.

- Finally, I published it on arcgis server.

- I've generated the map cache for the service.

Finally, the Print widget of web appbuilder and the **Export Web Map** woked as expected.

0 Kudos