Enterprise (ArcGIS?) Geodatabase on Azure SQL

08-02-2016 02:45 PM
JeffGarland_AGOL
New Contributor II

Trying to get some clarification.  Can you have an enterprise geodatabase on an Azure SQL DB.  (Note this is not a SQL Server instance running on an Azure VM (IaaS), but MS Azure SQL (PaaSP.)   This documentation seems to indicate the answer is "no".   (See first bullet under the header "Database requirements\limitations". I assume "ArcGIS Geodatabase" translates to Enterprise Geodatabase.)  This documentation seems to indicate "yes".  Note the text in the gray box, "...These 10.4.1 geodatabases are in a beta state, and are for use only with your GIS server or web GIS deployment on Azure.

What does the latter part mean?  Can I edit the feature classes in an EGDB on Azure SQL with Desktop?  Is versioning supported?  Are roles supported?  Or is it just a "managed database" for ArcGIS Server.  Any clarification from an Esri product member would be greatly appreciated.

12 Replies
EllenNodwell_IntegraShare
Occasional Contributor

For ArcGIS Pro, this configuration now requires an upgrade to the graphics set-up.

CPU
CPU
Minimum: Hyperthreaded dual core
You Have: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2690 v3 @ 2.60GHz
CPU SPEED
CPU SPEED
Minimum: Info
You Have: 2.6 GHz
VIDEO CARD
VIDEO CARD
Minimum: DirectX 11 feature level 10.1, Shader Model 4.1, OpenGL 3.3, and the EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic and EXT_texture_compression_s3tc extensions with 512 MB RAM
You Have: Quadro K5200
Features: Minimum attributes of your Video Card
RequiredYou Have
IconPixel Shader4.15.0
IconTotal Video RAM512 MB6.0 GB
IconVertex Shader4.15.0
IconDedicated Video RAM512 MB6.0 GB
RAM
RAM
Minimum: 4 GB
You Have: 56 GB
OS
OS
Minimum: Windows (64 bit) 7, 8.1, or 10; or Windows Server (64 bit) 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2, or 2016. See System Requirements for specific OS versions and editions.
You Have: Microsoft Windows 10 (build 14393), 64-bit
FREE DISK SPACE
FREE DISK SPACE
Minimum: 32 GB
You Have: 332 GB
BROWSER VERSION
BROWSER VERSION
Minimum: Internet Explorer 11.0 or better
You Have: 11.2363.14393.0
.NET VERSION
.NET VERSION
Minimum: 4.6.1
You Have: 4.6.2
OPENGL ARB_VIEWPORT ARRAY EXTENSION
OPENGL ARB_VIEWPORT ARRAY EXTENSION
Minimum: Is extension present?
You Have: No
Unfortunately, your system does not meet this requirement.

Whereas Pro, up to 2.2 has been working, 2.2 will not; our users have not yet moved away from ArcGIS Desktop, as third-party extensions that they use daily are not yet catching up to converting to Pro.  ArcGIS Desktop works well in the current configuration.

Just wanted to give a heads up on this.  Of course, those will require adjustment to the AZURE machine configurations - the OPENGL ARB_VIEWPORT ARRAY EXTENSION needs to for sure be addressed.  We will be addressing this situation and will report back on the results.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos
JeffGarland
New Contributor II

Ellen.  If it's not asking too much.  What's the monthly Azure bill for this type of configuration?

Cheers:

jg

0 Kudos
EllenNodwell_IntegraShare
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jeff,

The company has an enterprise agreement with Microsoft, as many do, where the pricing is baked-in for all that they order off the menu. 

That being said, as I recall, the most expensive configuration of the constellation, are the two NC6 Standard set-ups for our multi-user remote desktops.  Cost-wise, however, the capacity for handling users up in Azure, and the advantages in performance gains (Azure to Azure vs. on-premise desktops to Azure) probably could be calculated in time-cost-efficiency ROI.  Up in Azure, everything is faster.  Mixing Azure with on-premise, you have bandwidth, I/O, etc. differences and the network must be super-speedy and optimized if used in this way.

The server, and the database server VM's  - the DS12_V2's (4 of these, 2 for the ArcGIS Server's VM, 2 for the SQL-DB's) were the next in terms in cost.  The portals - the A4_V2's (two of these) are "lightweights" by comparison in cost.  I think that the NC6 was just over $1K/mo each - and there are options for scaling, and putting these VM's into "heartbeat" if you have nothing going on, which apparently reduces the cost considerably, per month.

At $1K/month supporting 5 users, annualized, this is probably a good use of dollars, since you have no hardware left to amortize from the accounting perspective, nor do you have to get rid of old machinery and re-buy a workstation every couple of years to keep up with what resources are truly required.  It depends on the perspective of the IT organization as to what they want to manage - "the cloud" vs. "assets in the server room, and in offices".  All entail costs of some sort.

I also know that Microsoft updates its pricing on a regular basis for Azure's offerings, as well, they continue to build more configurations that are available.  I also know that Esri have just pushed out some new info about what's available with the Esri-Azure certified configs offered. 

Here is the pricing calculator off Microsoft's site that is helpful when planning:  Pricing Calculator | Microsoft Azure - there is also that same link on the Esri landing page for Azure: ArcGIS Enterprise on Microsoft Azure—ArcGIS Enterprise | ArcGIS Enterprise on the Esri site.

I'm no expert, but I am in this with sleeves rolled up, day to day, and we feel pretty good, still, about using Azure; We are getting ready to upgrade to 10.6 ArcGIS Enterprise to deal with some 10.5 issues that are resolved in the dot release.  The lovely thing about Azure is that you can change without buying hardware, which I think is one of the major attractions.

Our users seem to like it, as well.  And, as with anything new, we learn something every day.

Hope this helps.

0 Kudos