ArcGIS Online Storage Per Day or Per Month for Credits?

Jump to solution
02-12-2018 06:56 AM
DaveGrolling1
New Contributor III

I have some featured services in Portal and if I look at my credits usage, I am burning 25-33 credits per day, just on storage. Looking at the documentation for understanding ArcGIS Online credit usage, it specifically says for Feature storage, excluding feature attachments, that it costs "2.4 credits per 10 MB stored per month, calculated hourly". What am I missing here, if I'm being charged daily when the documentation notes a monthly charge? Am I reading this wrong?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Dave,

Feature storage Credits are charged hourly based on a monthly rate. I'm going to provide some information about how to calculate the hourly storage costs, but it's not necessary for you to do the credit math. If something seems strange, take a look at the storage sizes of each feature layer through this reporting tool:

Understanding Feature Storage Reports (December 2016) | ArcGIS Blog 

This Learn ArcGIS Course also includes some Credit Math if you want to look into this further:

Monitor member activity—Set Up an ArcGIS Organization | ArcGIS 

Either way, if something seems strange, feel free to give your account rep or support services a call and they can review the report with you.

Credit Math: 

Example if you have 10 MB of feature storage for an entire month, it will cost 2.4 credits for the entire month.

If you publish and delete feature storage throughout the month, the credit charges reflect these changes due to the size of feature storage scheduled hourly. This isn't the exact math as I have rounded the numbers and estimated the month, but should provide an idea about how the hourly storage is calculated.

Example if you had a 10 MB  service and had it hosted in ArcGIS Online for 6 hours, it would be 

2.4 credits per month ÷ 744 hours (month of March) = 0.00322 (credits per hour)

0.00322 credits * 6 = total of 0.019 credits for storage for the six hours. 

This is calculated based on the total storage in your organization which can be viewed in the view status dashboards.

Let us know if you have any questions or if there is something that you want more insight into that isn't provided through the reporting tools.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

5 Replies
KellyGerrow

Hi Dave,

Feature storage Credits are charged hourly based on a monthly rate. I'm going to provide some information about how to calculate the hourly storage costs, but it's not necessary for you to do the credit math. If something seems strange, take a look at the storage sizes of each feature layer through this reporting tool:

Understanding Feature Storage Reports (December 2016) | ArcGIS Blog 

This Learn ArcGIS Course also includes some Credit Math if you want to look into this further:

Monitor member activity—Set Up an ArcGIS Organization | ArcGIS 

Either way, if something seems strange, feel free to give your account rep or support services a call and they can review the report with you.

Credit Math: 

Example if you have 10 MB of feature storage for an entire month, it will cost 2.4 credits for the entire month.

If you publish and delete feature storage throughout the month, the credit charges reflect these changes due to the size of feature storage scheduled hourly. This isn't the exact math as I have rounded the numbers and estimated the month, but should provide an idea about how the hourly storage is calculated.

Example if you had a 10 MB  service and had it hosted in ArcGIS Online for 6 hours, it would be 

2.4 credits per month ÷ 744 hours (month of March) = 0.00322 (credits per hour)

0.00322 credits * 6 = total of 0.019 credits for storage for the six hours. 

This is calculated based on the total storage in your organization which can be viewed in the view status dashboards.

Let us know if you have any questions or if there is something that you want more insight into that isn't provided through the reporting tools.

-Kelly

Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Thanks Kelly Gerrow !

Another question, is there any way to calculate how many MB will take to convert a dataset (static file, e.g.: shapefile, geojson, csv, etc.) to a hosted feature service before hand?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi,

The data storage size is dependent on the actual data, field number and stored geometry in the dataset. Estimations are often inaccurate as all datasets vary. If looking to estimate for budgeting, the most accurate way to determine the size is to upload the data and view the size. Data that is larger than desired can be easily deleted. As mentioned above, short term storage of feature datasets is generally quite low.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Thanks Kelly, you are completely right.

I tried to get some "multiplier factor" but as you said I couldn't. Just for your information, here you have some tests I have done (without specifying the field types) :

• Point datasets:
    • 1377 points & 8 fields each:
      • 752 KBs Hosted feature layer
      • 514 KBs GeoJSON
      • 102 KBs XLS
      • 96 KBs SHP
      • 79 KBs KML
      • 46 KBs CSV
    • 47 points & 26 fields each:
      • 200 KBs Hosted feature layer
      • 92 KBs GeoJSON
      • 29 KBs XLS
      • 21 KBs CSV
      • 20 KBs KML
      • 16 KBs SHP

• Polygon datasets: (XLS, & CSV do not apply)
    • 84 rows & 20 cols (neighbourhoods)
      • 489 KBs GeoJSON
      • 432KBs Feature collection (maintaining the original features, without generalizing)
      • 312 KBs Hosted feature layer
      • 176 KBs KML
      • 128 KBs SHP
      • 121 KBs FGDB
    • 52 rows & 6 cols (states)
      • 2 MBs Feature collection (maintaining the original features, without generalizing)
      • 1.3 MBs GeoJSON
      • 1 MBs Hosted feature layer
      • 839 KBs SHP
      • 837 KBs KML
      • 459 KBs FGDB

So I have notice it is even difficult to conclude an order, right?:

Thanks again, I'll recommend to upload the data and view the size then ^_^.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
JoabelBarbieri
Occasional Contributor II

Here's an AGOL credit and cost estimator tool that can be very helpful

https://forest-gis.com/arcgis-online-credit-cost-estimator-tool/

0 Kudos