Offline Download Error "A Layer Does Not Have The Correct Editing Capabilities"

Jump to solution
03-18-2014 09:22 AM
KevinWatt
New Contributor III
I have been successful downloading point and line layers for offline use with collector.  I tried adding a parcel polygon layer (published from ArcGIS desktop as a feature service), and now when I try downloading for offline in the collector app, I get the error  "A Layer Does Not Have The Correct Editing Capabilities".

I have checked the polygon layer and it has editing and enable sync checked.  I have tried republishing the dynamic map feature service to ArcGIS.com, and adding it to a new map as well.  The error still persists.  As soon as I remove the polygon layer the maps download for offline with no errors.

I tried two other polygon layers as well and it also gave me the same error.  I also tried this on two different android devices.

Has anyone else experienced this behavior?  Is it possible that polygons are not supported for offline use?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
14 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor
Yes in this release you will need to do that. We will be improving our support for the different editing capabilities in future releases.

Russ
0 Kudos
DavidCoombe1
New Contributor III
End users require context through layers such as suburbs, local government areas, land parcels and roads etc. These layers should not be editable to users. Yet they need to be made available offline.

At present the work flow requires full edit mode on all feature layers which means users can edit authoritative, accurate and assured data. The offline mode needs a rethink around end user requirements.
0 Kudos
FrankRoberts
Occasional Contributor III

I noticed this thread is just a little old.  I am seeing the same issues at the current release of Collector - 10.2.4.  Can someone confirm that this is still the case?  I just want to make sure that there is not some sort of cool work around to allow off line data that is not editable.  I concur with David's response above that this is a significant flaw, since we don't want our end users editing our parcel basemap in Collector, but we do want them to take it off line.

Thanks

Frank

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes right now the app (iOS and Android) still only support full editing capabilities in the feature services when being taken offline.

0 Kudos
Terri-AnnGrant
New Contributor

This is an old thread but i'd like to know if there is now a solution to this allowing for tier editing function within offline maps or any workarounds to this. 

0 Kudos