Selecting Polygons Overlayed by Polylines

Jump to solution
02-11-2018 04:47 PM
JoshuaBrengel
New Contributor III

Hello,

I'm trying to select polygons from a feature class using a polyline feature class. 

See below for an example that shows the type of feature class/general concept I'm dealing with:

I don't want to have all three polygons selected, just the two with the blue dots.   My end goal is to export the selected polygons so that I can merge them into a one large polygon. 

It doesn't seem like there is a Select By Location method that can isolate the polygons I'm interested in (again, the two that contain dblue dots).  I tried "Append" on the two feature classes (first had to convert polygons to lines) and then used "Trim Line".  That worked to get rid of the dangle, but I couldn't get a line feature back that could be used for the purpose I wanted in Select By Location.

Also, I tried Integrate to change the line to get it inside just the two Polygons of interest (so I could then use it to select the two polygons instead of having all three polygons selected), but that was a bit too messy for the actual feature classes I have. In other words, the line feature didn't modify in predictable way that would be helpful to use it in Select By Location.

Thanks for your help,

- Josh

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

At this point perhaps  working with something that gets 'most' is the best solution... then isolate the 'corner cases' for further analysis

Breaking the problem into parts may result in a multi-step process rather than striving for a one-step-gets-all

JoshuaBrengel
New Contributor III

Ok, thank you for your help Dan.  Agreed.  I will stick with what gets me the most polygons and then do a manual overview. I will mark your intersect solution as correct.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If the dataset is relatively small then I would suggest to select all polygons that intersect the line and manually deselect those that you don't want. Rather this, than invest time in a procedure to select most of the polygons you want and still having to select those that were left out.

JoshuaBrengel
New Contributor III

Thank you Xander.  It's an interesting problem.  I appreciate your advice on it.  While I wish there was a way to do things non-manually, I think unfortunately the data's precision requires the solution includes some manual work.