The web applications are quite slow,

05-09-2013 01:21 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
The web applications are quite slow,

.Net, Silverlight and flex are quite slow in displaying the data even in case they are launched in the machine that contains data/IIS

What might be the issue? How to get better speed?

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
11 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Hi Jamal,

The web applications are quite slow ... How to get better speed?

FYI, this help topic has some suggestions: Optimizing map content for performance

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

FYI, this help topic has some suggestions: Optimizing map content for performance

Hope this helps,

Many thanks Derek,

Is Silverlight and flex are much faster than the .Net (ADF)? I couldn�??t find an answer for this query.

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Jamal,

Is Silverlight and flex are much faster than the .Net (ADF)?

Many factors can affect and contribute to web application performance, such as: data content, types of web services, # of web services being displayed, type of source data behind the services, etc. It is difficult to provide a general answer.

Be advised that the ArcGIS Server Web ADF technology has been deprecated and we encourage our users to migrate and use the Web Mapping API technologies (JavaScript, Flex, and Silverlight).

FYI: ArcGIS 10 and 10.1 Deprecation Plan

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

Many factors can affect and contribute to web application performance, such as: data content, types of web services, # of web services being displayed, type of source data behind the services, etc. It is difficult to provide a general answer.

Be advised that the ArcGIS Server Web ADF technology has been deprecated and we encourage our users to migrate and use the Web Mapping API technologies (JavaScript, Flex, and Silverlight).

FYI: ArcGIS 10 and 10.1 Deprecation Plan

Hope this helps,

Many thanks Derek for the very useful answer,

I have still inqeries regarding:

�?� Data content: does this include labeling/scales at which data (or labels) are visible/feature class VS images?

�?� Type of web service: what does this refer to?

�?� # of web services being displayed: does this refer to the number of started (active) services?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]24661[/ATTACH]

�?� Type Source data: does this refer to whether the database is SQL/Oracle/�?�

Sure, I�??m moving to the Silverlight and Flex but viewers (as I�??m a non-developer). But due to the fact that multiple very basic features are not yet developed for no-developers, I�??m still attached to the ADF option.

I have a question in my mind: why the ADF is still the best in terms of functions available for non-developers? It is almost like the desktop application! Very powerful! When the Silverlight + Flex (viewers) will reach such level?

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Jamal,

I have still inquries regarding:

�?� Data content: does this include labeling/scales at which data (or labels) are visible/feature class VS images?

Please review the documentation that I referenced in my first post in this thread, it discusses these topics.

�?� Type of web service: what does this refer to?

For example, using cached services might be better for static/background data versus using dynamic services for only your business/operational data. Again, please read the help topic in my first post.

�?� # of web services being displayed: does this refer to the number of started (active) services?

The more services your web application references, the more likely it may need more time to load them when the web application first loads in your web browser.

�?� Type Source data: does this refer to whether the database is SQL/Oracle/�?�

Sometimes having your web service source data in a file geodatabase might be faster than having it stored in an ArcSDE geodatabase.

why the ADF is still the best in terms of functions available for non-developers? It is almost like the desktop application! Very powerful! When the Silverlight + Flex (viewers) will reach such level?

I think your statement that the Web ADF application builder is the "best" is pretty subjective. Yes, it currently does have some more options, but it is built on legacy technology and does not support the new ArcGIS for Server functionality. We are actively working to improve both the Flex and Silverlight Viewers by augmenting their capabilities with each new release.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

Please review the documentation that I referenced in my first post in this thread, it discusses these topics.

For example, using cached services might be better for static/background data versus using dynamic services for only your business/operational data. Again, please read the help topic in my first post.

The more services your web application references, the more likely it may need more time to load them when the web application first loads in your web browser.

Sometimes having your web service source data in a file geodatabase might be faster than having it stored in an ArcSDE geodatabase.

I think your statement that the Web ADF application builder is the "best" is pretty subjective. Yes, it currently does have some more options, but it is built on legacy technology and does not support the new ArcGIS for Server functionality. We are actively working to improve both the Flex and Silverlight Viewers by augmenting their capabilities with each new release.

Hope this helps,

Thank you very much Derek for the very useful answer.

Sure. I�??ll be reviewing the documentations that you have recommended

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

Hope this helps,

Hi Derek,

I need to highlight two points:

�?� I tried to publish the data stored in file geodatabase and found out that the performance (speed) has enhanced significantly! Which trades off can be made here between having the data stored in ArcSDE geodatabase to allow multiuser environment or storing it in file geodatabase for better performance?

�?� I have been posting a question but never got an answer: are Silverlight and Flex (viewers) much faster that ADF?

Thanks

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Hi Jamal,

Which trades off can be made here between having the data stored in ArcSDE geodatabase to allow multiuser environment or storing it in file geodatabase for better performance?

It depends on what functionality you want to enable in your web services. You'll need to have your data in an ArcSDE geodatabase to enable web editing. At 10.2, you can have the data stored in a spatially enabled database that is not a geodatabase.

I have been posting a question but never got an answer: are Silverlight and Flex (viewers) much faster that ADF?

Actually I believe I replied to this question already, please see my 2nd post earlier in this thread.

Hope this helps,
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

It depends on what functionality you want to enable in your web services. You'll need to have your data in an ArcSDE geodatabase to enable web editing. At 10.2, you can have the data stored in a spatially enabled database that is not a geodatabase.

Actually I believe I replied to this question already, please see my 2nd post earlier in this thread.

Hope this helps,

Thank you Derek for the prompt help and support,

My scenario:

1. In my work environment, up to 6 users (with 6 versions) are editing the database which is based on SQL server database

2. The published mxd reads its data from this SQL server database

3. And thus the URLs used in the web mapping applications are referenced to the SQL server database

In this scenario, all edits are reflected on the web mapping application as these edits are reconciled. I don�??t need to enable editing from the web application. In this case, is it much more powerful to go to the the file geodatabase option such that it  is synchronized with the SQL server database on a regular basis?

I went back to the documents that you have already advised but couldn�??t find a definite answer for my query whether the Silverlight and Flex are much faster than Web ADF?

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos