Viewshed service or how to setup GeoprocessingService

Jump to solution
02-05-2018 06:32 AM
NorbertThoden
Occasional Contributor III

Hi!
Unfortunately the Viewshed of V100.2 works only for 3D.

So for 3D i have to setup

1. a GeoprocessingTask (client side) and process/display the results
  2. create a geoprocessing package (.gpk)
  3. create a LocalServer serving/wrapping geoprocessing package

This that correct so far?

Step 1) seem to be done (copied from arcgis-runtime-samples-qt/ArcGISRuntimeSDKQt_CppSamples/Analysis/AnalyzeViewshed at master · Esri/ar... )

But how can i start with step 2) and 3)?

I assume that for such a basic service (viewshed) a template is available?

Can someone give me a point where to start?

Thanks in advance!

Norbert

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
EricBader

Hi Norbert,

There are 2 ways to perform viewshed analysis in 100.2.

You can use the Local Server to run a viewshed geoprocessing task, or you can add an AnalysisOverlay to a SceneView and display the red and green areas of visibility, without using Local Server. The difference is, using the AnalysisOverlay displays the viewshed results in a transient, in-memory only manner. There is no persistence of the results. Using GP and Local Server, you can persist the result. Also, the AnalysisOverlay works today in 3D only. 

Viewshed (Location)—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt | ArcGIS for Developers is a good example of how to use the AnalysisOverlay approach.

For your questions about 2) and 3), you'll use ArcMap to execute the Viewshed tool and share the results as a .GPK. This GPK can then be opened, read, and executed by the Local Server. The Viewshed—Help | ArcGIS Desktop explains the use of the viewshed tool in Desktop. A quick tour of authoring and sharing geoprocessing services—ArcMap | ArcGIS Desktop  is a good topic that explains the process for your step 2).

Good point about a 'template' being needed for such a common workflow. 

I hope this helps.

Eric

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EricBader

Hi Norbert,

There are 2 ways to perform viewshed analysis in 100.2.

You can use the Local Server to run a viewshed geoprocessing task, or you can add an AnalysisOverlay to a SceneView and display the red and green areas of visibility, without using Local Server. The difference is, using the AnalysisOverlay displays the viewshed results in a transient, in-memory only manner. There is no persistence of the results. Using GP and Local Server, you can persist the result. Also, the AnalysisOverlay works today in 3D only. 

Viewshed (Location)—ArcGIS Runtime SDK for Qt | ArcGIS for Developers is a good example of how to use the AnalysisOverlay approach.

For your questions about 2) and 3), you'll use ArcMap to execute the Viewshed tool and share the results as a .GPK. This GPK can then be opened, read, and executed by the Local Server. The Viewshed—Help | ArcGIS Desktop explains the use of the viewshed tool in Desktop. A quick tour of authoring and sharing geoprocessing services—ArcMap | ArcGIS Desktop  is a good topic that explains the process for your step 2).

Good point about a 'template' being needed for such a common workflow. 

I hope this helps.

Eric

0 Kudos
NorbertThoden

Hi Eric!

Thanks for your hints!

1) Do i need any licences to run the local Server serving the viewshed?
Or is the licence just reqiured to generate the gpk?

2) I tried to generate a gpk, but get a gpkx file. Is there a difference?

Thx

0 Kudos
EricBader

Hi Norbert,

1) Yes, Local Server requires a Standard deployment license 

2) gpkx is produced by ArcGIS Pro. At the current Runtime release, gpkx doesn't work with local server. GPKs are created by ArcMap, GPKs work at this current Runtime local server release. Later this year, Runtime will support GPKX. Sorry for the confusion!

0 Kudos