How to open attribute table for map layer?

Jump to solution
02-08-2018 11:39 AM
KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

I've added a shapefile (containing US Census tract boundaries) to my project but can't figure out how to view the attribute table underlying the map layer. The online documentation says to right-click on the name of the map layer in the Content pane, but my context menu isn't showing the "Open attribute table" option. 

I just started with ArcGIS Pro and am relatively new to mapping. At this point really small things are taking forever

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kathy,

I think you're one node too high in your layer. Expand your New York_Census Tracts_2010 layer--which is really a group layer name--and you should see a layer below it, like in this picture. If you right-click the sublayer, you should be able to open the attribute table.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

The table of contents is on the left side of the dataframe where you can see the map.. Correct?

What does the actual name of the layer say in the table of contents?

Are you sure you are clicking on the actual name of the file in the table of contents and not on the symbol underneath the name?

Got a screen grab to show your situation?

0 Kudos
KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

Thanks for you quick reply, Dan Patterson‌. I think I may see the problem. I had uploaded the shapefile to AGOL and then inserted it into my project from Portal-My Content. From there the context menu showed only a few options. I tried again, this time adding the shapefile directly from my computer and now see the full context menu including the attribute table. 

For future reference, I'd love to know why the attribute table isn't available for viewing when the shape layer is added from my online resources. Here's a screenshot from that context menu.

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kathy,

I think you're one node too high in your layer. Expand your New York_Census Tracts_2010 layer--which is really a group layer name--and you should see a layer below it, like in this picture. If you right-click the sublayer, you should be able to open the attribute table.

KathyKaufman
New Contributor III

You're right! Wow. It's amazing how many hours that took me. Thanks so much. 

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

In Pro, you can share all the layers in the Contents pane as part of a single web layer, so the node > subnode structure makes sense. It seems kind of odd when there's only a single layer, though. Like why would you look for a layer underneath your layer? But there it is...