CityEngine & ArcGis Terrain Data & Water

02-07-2018 03:06 AM
RomanGorshkov
New Contributor

Hey Guys,

I am just starting out with City Engine. I am going to get an educational license through my Uni, just what to ask a couple of questions.
1. What is the relationship between CityEngine and ArcGis? Do I have to get subscription for ArcGis as well to be able to do  masterplan designs?
    I am asking because for example I can’t get terrain data in City Engine without ArcGis subscription.
    Are there any other ways to get this DATA, I tried QGis but resolution is not as nice 
2. I know this question was asked before. How to mask out water areas from the map so I have a clean geometry of shore line or embarkment ?
    And then place a separate plane to represent a water surface. 
Please see attached images
Thank you
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Luiz_AmadeuCoutinho
Occasional Contributor III
Hi Roman

About your questions:

1. What is the relationship between CityEngine and ArcGis? Do I have to get subscription for ArcGis as well to be able to do  masterplan designs?
   CityEngine x ArcGIS - Are you asking about ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Desktop?
2. I know this question was asked before. How to mask out water areas from the map so I have a clean geometry of shore line or embarkment ?
You can extract using ArcGIS Desktop  Extract by Mask—Help | ArcGIS Desktop , but if you want You don´t need it. Create a polygon to represent the water surface and apply the Water Effect to include animation. Here a tip https://community.esri.com/thread/208177-how-can-i-represent-water-in-cityengine 

0 Kudos
RomanGorshkov
New Contributor

Hi Luiz,

Thank you for your reply. 

1. I think ArcGIS Online. I think I found an answer. I got an education license of City Engine and ArcGis Online identity through organisation (my university) Now I can get an access to Terrain Data from City Engine.

2. I don't have ArcGis Desktop ( Thought there is a way to extract mask from OSM and crop the terrain so I don't have extra polygons ?

Cheers

0 Kudos